Fred Head Questions

Wow, that was easy, I was able to get out those spark plug threads. Ok, so I haven't ridden my bike much at all since I put the new piston, head, cylinder on. I've been running my engine a little rich and yet I have stuff on my piston. It looks like dried oil. Not carbon buildup. I can scratch it off with my fingers. What does this mean and do I need to do anything different?

Also, how do you guys go about reusing the copper head gasket? This would be the 3rd time using it. Do I just need to clean it? And how do you properly clean it? Cuz somehow there is still oil on both the gasket sides when I took off the head and so maybe I just didn't clean it enough. I used alcohol and paper towels

Last edited:
Wow, that was easy, I was able to get out those spark plug threads. Ok, so I haven't ridden my bike much at all since I put the new piston, head, cylinder on. I've been running my engine a little rich and yet I have stuff on my piston. It looks like dried oil. Not carbon buildup. I can scratch it off with my fingers. What does this mean and do I need to do anything different?
That's a very good wash pattern,typical for carbon in the middle and more so due to being rich.

Never warmed up the engine with clutch in and just idling. If its warm weather it starts without choke and if its colder then initially I have choke on but what I do is just pedal, let the clutch out and ride it while it warms up. Just no full throttle high rpm stuff while it warms up.

Slowly air cooling the Copper gasket or dropping it in a pan of water (quench) makes no difference with 100% copper gaskets, it's annealed. It's not recommended to heat the Copper gasket with Map or Acetylene gas torch it tends to overheat and scorch the copper gasket. Copper gaskets can be reused 2 maybe 3 times but that's about it. If the Copper gasket shows signs of pitting, Replace.

I have a steel walled cylinder. I want to port it for more power if I can.
20201212_171228.jpg

20201212_171241.jpg

The ports are already a little bigger than the stock cylinder. Can I still go bigger? And do you agree with this guys porting?
20201212_171014.jpg

Top of...
exh port to deck is 27.5mm
intake to deck is 48mm
Transfers to deck is 31mm on one corner and 34mm on the other corner. (Its sloped)

Piston at TDC to deck is less than 1mm above the deck. Here's a pic
Screenshot_20201212-175159_Gallery.jpg

Back