Fred Head Questions

Maybe spark plugs are made to break like that due to over torquing before they could strip internal threads

So this is one of those things that are fundamental for starting these bikes that I have probably been doing wrong this whole time without realizing it. The choke. I've been putting it on before I let go of the clutch.... then when I get momentum and let go of the clutch and then vary the throttle.... the choke turns off too early. It turns off when I go full throttle. So how do I operate it properly when cold starting?

Last edited:
I always twist throttle a time or two then apply choke. Then pedal my little a** off its starts squeeze clutch for a couple then throttle on. That's how I do mine. Though I have a hp carb ,now nt's you have to turn choke off manually.

I'm talking about just getting it to cold start. I have trouble starting it without the choke on when cold starting and apparantely I'm doing that all the time. I don't understand how I can keep the choke on when as soon as I pull the throttle all the way or almost all the way, the choke shuts off automatically.

Last edited:
Don't turn the throttle, just pull in the clutch and let it run on the choke. If you're riding to work on it, you will have to give yourself a little extra time for it to warm up.
I have the same carb and I just start it in the drive, lift the rear wheel and push down on the pedal and she starts. Let it warm for a bit and then go.

Back