Good alternative to Grubee 4G transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikejock

Local time
10:12 PM
I'm looking for a more reliable replacement transmission for my Grubee 4G transmission. Anyone know of something more reliable for less than$200? My HS 142 engine still runs fine even better after replacing the crappy stock carburetor with the 2 stroke NT racing carburetor. But after fixing my 4G T belt transmission it broke AGAIN a month or so after the repair! the same way to. The clutch bell broke clean off the shaft while I was driving at 25 mph which isn't even the bikes top speed & I was driving on a smooth, level road. From the looks of it the clutch bell & shaft seem to be made out of a cheap flimsy brass material which is probably the stupidest material to make engine parts out of whether its for a high RPM machine or not. I get they are trying to build this stuff on the cheap but gesh! At almost $150 for the transmission alone I would expect at least a better built clutch bell & shaft which is a pretty crucial component. At least bolt on the clutch bell instead of welding it on there in such a flimsy way would have been more preferred.

Pretty sure its designed to fail...I'm irritated at it as well. So far my replacement bell is ok but so was my first the day before it snapped off.

my 5g clutch bell broke off at the shaft too and i couldn't remove it because of the free wheel. LOL nice superior design there BikeBerry... :(

Pretty sure its designed to fail...I'm irritated at it as well. So far my replacement bell is ok but so was my first the day before it snapped off.

My first clutch bell failure was a week or so after I bought mine. I've had the thing for a few years & it was just sitting in the garage unfixed for a long time but finaly got around to fixing it over the weekend & was real bumbed to have it brake again the exact same way.

Wish someone made a transmission as reliable as the Saton Inc. friction drive kits my other bike has (at least they bolt their clutch bells on to the shaft & make them out of high grade steel) but a transmission built that well out of high tensile steel would be well above $200 & proabably weigh twice as much as the grubee junk.

Wish we had an alternative shaft that accepted bolt on aftermarket bells...you know, the kind that is slotted, grips better and isn't tack welded in such cheesy fashion...

Wish we had an alternative shaft that accepted bolt on aftermarket bells...you know, the kind that is slotted, grips better and isn't tack welded in such cheesy fashion...

Yeah. That would be a much better way to upgrade from the crappy clutch bell & shaft that comes with the 4G. I would want to try building my own custom transmission out of high tensile steel if I had the tools. But fabrication tools are very expensive & so is trying to custom fabricate anything out of high tensile steel.

So I think I'm going to go with the 5G dual chain transmission Bikeberry sells. I think its a far better design than the 4G t belt transmission that came with my kit & at $99 its a bargain. What I'm liking about the Bikeberrry 5G is the clutch bell is bolted on instead of welded on in a crappy way making repairs much easier than the 4G & has a dual chain system instead of the belt.

I also plan on getting the BBR rear sprocket adapter & a spring tensioner with the BBR sprocket idler for the rest of the drive train improvements. I also may get a higher quality chain.

i bought the 5g on sale and the stupid clutch bell broke at the axle right around the nut. and since it is a free wheel there wasnt anyway to grip the broken bell and remove the nut without somehow sawing the nut... and yes i admit i caused the bell to break earlier than expected but they advertised a modular design with easy to replace parts. with the way the clutch bell is placed on the transmission, a typical clutch bell break around the shaft will make it near impossible to remove without tools to cut the nut... just my opinion

So I think I'm going to go with the 5G dual chain transmission Bikeberry sells.
I think its a far better design than the 4G t belt transmission that came with my kit & at $99 its a bargain.
Have fun with that dual chain 5G, it's a 'bargain box' of crap.

But 5 is bigger than 4 so that makes it better, right :p? All kidding aside, that 5g is junkier than the 4g. Don't get fooled by the gasbike 7g either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back