good front fork for gas mountian bike?

Ouch those forks are overpriced and horrible.
They certainly are not rockshox. I don't know why it is allowed to say that in the listing.
It appears there are some newer Suntour that at least look to be okay. I would still trust good ole Marzocchi or Rockshox over them, but I know they can be expensive. I can't really search USA eBay to show you an example and pasting links from my phone is not easy but I am sure if you are patient and prepared to wait til a good one comes up you will find something really good for actually less than the price of those.. Zoom or whatever they are in that link. Just watch several auctions at once and don't get caught up in trying to buy something quickly.. Eventually you will get a really good deal. :)

are crown nuts and star nuts universal?

I wouldn't recommend using a crown race from another headset but most star nuts are universal. Taking the crown race off is really pretty easy with just a flat head and a hammer. Takes a little finesse but I've done it that way. You can take your star nut out but if you buy one, just make sure it's for 1 1/8 steerer tube and you should be fine.

can i get one that has threads even though mine is threadless? it seems like only the other way around could be a problem right?

Never tried and wouldn't, so I can't tell you. I doubt it would be a great idea. The stem is meant to grip the surface so you can steer.. Can it do that on a thread?

I have heard that it can be done but I agree with Furry, it's not a good idea. You really don't want to mount your stem over threads.

You can get Brand new Suntour forks for about $80 in various steerer tube lengths and brake configurations. RST forks are comparable. You can kick it up a notch and get an entry level set of Rockshox for a little over $100 brand new.

I personally have these for my new build. http://www.ebay.com/itm/361424021218?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

All I wanted was suspension and a V brake mount. These fit the bill and I am impressed with the quality of the fork. Well worth the $70.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back