grinding the welds: stones, burrs, single or double-cut?

I cut the other one up into small pieces and recycled it. I suppose I should have given it away to someone who could have benifitted from it.

The jig is extruded aluminum and can be pricey...even from the scrap yard.

Do what you can to get away from the flux core. Welding with shielding gas is so much better and worth the extra cost. I'm sure you know that though.

I haven't taken my welder out of the box yet, but when I do, I'll be referring back to this thread. Thanks guys.

"10-4" on gas is best, dan...i have several years experience with MIG in an undercar shop, loved it. cost must be about the same...a 10lb spool of flux-core ain't cheap. but the self-shielding isn't so bad, once you re-learn a bit about feed and speed. i'm getting like zero-slag when i run a good one.

what kind of welder did you score, van?

on-topic, i'll just buy one pricey (quality?) carbide double-cut burr for now, see how it does. the stones i have now do a great job of the finer work, with minimal wear.

Last edited:
I got a Firepower 120. It's basically the cheapest one I could get that would work on 120v and was gas ready. And since I bought it through NAPA, I didn't have to pay shipping (always an important consideration up here).

I just started using a Harbor Freight 110v FluxCore welder. Im pretty happy with it after some of the horror stories I had heard. Feeds well with .030 and .035 wire. Some spatter but not enough to worry about.

For cleaning up Im using my angle grinder with a segmented flexible grinding wheel. Works well.

"angle grinder" is on the wish-list

i'll be putting my finishing-skills to the test today...time to trim and re-route the powerpipe on the tanaka 33cc...that might be happening on the cam later this afternoon. i hope i don't chew up too much of the chrome.

when i trimmed the cargo-rack off the trike, i got these "nubs"...i made a decent job of it with a stone in the die-grinder, and without significant wear...took some time, but time IS the one thing i can afford plenty of ;)

Attachments

• MVC-011F.JPG
    MVC-011F.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 359
  • MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 356
not bad:
MVC-016F.JPG

i think the welder freaks the camera out, it froze...i'll keep that in mind.

Angle grinder

I have a harbor freight angle grinder and use it a lot. The cutting disks are cheap & cut quick / even make my MIG welds look OK. Do the fine clean up with air/rotery/stones. I wish I had a good gas/O2 torch. I think that would reduce the grinding the most. What is the best all around way to set up a decent Gas / O2 system? Just adequate for welding steel. One that ties the mig spot welds together.

Back