Grubee Gearbox- running "wet"

Irish John
I recently sold my Honda GX50/Grubee GB setup. The customer came over to look at a bike with a HT motor that I had for sale and saw the 4 stroke setup. He took it for a ride and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. But anyway I only had to add about 1 oz. of Amsoil synthetic 4 stroke oil to the GB. It slipped just a little for a smooth takeoff and had no slippage when up to speed. I was planning on trying 3/4 oz. but never got around to it.

Wet GB - might abandon ship

I may be wrong but I am coming to the conclusion that the wet GB isn't as good as the lithium grease. The clutch is still slipping and I'm down on top speed by a noticeable 7 km\hr yet the revs are at peak. I can even stand beside by bike and engage the drive and rev it quite high while holding the bike and stopping it from going forwards. The tyre doesn't spin - the clutch just slips. This is not a good sign. I did a 20 km fairly flat run on the freeway last night and at the end of it my GB was too hot to touch and it smelt like a hot gearbox. I wasn't happy about that cos I've only ever had a warm GB casing that I can touch with my bare leg when I'm riding. Now I would get badly burnt if I touched my bare leg against it.
This morning I added another fluid oz of 50/50 so it probably has about 5 fl oz in it all up. It still gets far too hot and my top speed on the flat is 44 km\hr with a 48T sprocket. That means the clutch is slipping at speed and that is not good at all & causes serious heat problem. To stop the clutch slip I can pedal like crazy to force the engine up to 48 km\hr (30 mph) and I know that this speed matches the sound of the revs. When I stop pedalling, which I have to do cos at 30mph the revolutions of the pedals are more than I can keep up with for long, then the bike will find its own way back to about 44km\hr at full throttle on the flat. I can smell the hot clutch so I drop the revs back so they match the speed. I'm doing this for 20 km hoping that the clutch will bite hard and take me up to 52 km\hr which I've known previously on this rig - but no good. At the end of the run there's a long hill and I had to pedal til I was half dead in order to get up it. Last night I got off and pushed it up a hill that it usually takes with only a moderate bit of effort.
There might still be something I can do to get this gearbox to work OK but tomorrow is crunch time. I'll ride over the hills and valleys for 12 km on a route I do 4 times a week and back home again and if I have to get off on one of the long twisting hills I will drain the 50/50 and dismantle my handiwork and change back to lithium grease. I think my engine is telling me something important and I'm fearful that if I don't heed its cries I'll be sorry.
I've re-read this whole thread and I don't doubt anything that's been reported but my Huangsheng musn't be the same as the Honda clutch. The slipping is too hard to bear much longer but then I suppose I could try 65% engine honey 35% gear lube or vice versa before I abandon ship. I'm rather depressed about it all cos I had such great expectations. I'm off to bed with a cup of hot chocolate!
P.S. Expectations are just resentments under construction!

Last edited by a moderator:
What bike does that leave you with now you've sold the grubee Butch?

I also have a Mongoose full suspension with a Tanaka 47R/GEBE and a 70cc HT on a Schwinn Skyliner. I still miss the Honda 4 stroke though.
Just a thought-The bolt holding on your clutch wouldn't by chance be rubbing against the cover of your GB would it? This happened to me with a JL Hoot figure eight GB and the cover got very hot. I had to grind down the head of the bolt to get more clearance.

Maybe wet is not best?

From what I've read a little oil once in a while is OK for the centrifugal clutch, but too much might lead to problems. I found this.....

1) Oil the bushing that is located in the sprocket at least every two (2) hours of driving time. Where do you oil it? Right where you see the snap ring on the sprocket at the end of the clutch. There is a bronze bushing behind the snap ring that needs lubrication. With the engine off, squirt several drops of oil while the bushing is warm. At the same time oil the chain. What oil should I use? A good automotive oil like 10w30 or a straight 30HD weight oil is good, use the same oil used inside the engine. Once the chain gets "kinky" from lack of oil it should be replaced before it does damage to the clutch sprocket. A new chain is cheaper than a new clutch. If you keep the clutch and chain lubricated you should get years out of both. Oiling the chain after it gets dried out is a waste of time. Remember it is preventive maintenance, which means before the items get ruined.
2) Don't put oil inside the clutch. The holes on the drum of the clutch are to let the hot air out of the clutch. DON'T SQUIRT OIL IN THESE HOLES!! When oil gets in the drum portion of the clutch it will cause excessive slippage, which means undue heat will be generated.
3) The oils that can give you problems if they happen to get on your brake disc or in the drum of your clutch are: Slick 50, Dynamite, or Energy Release. These are excellent internal engine oils but will give you "fits" if they get inside the clutch or on the brake disc. They do just what they are intended to do which is to prevent friction -- steel to steel contact. On a clutch you need friction to have it engage and the same goes for a brake system. Because the oil comes out in very minute amounts and gets on the inside of the clutch drum. The clutch would only slip, it would not and could not lock up. This oil will impregnate the steel. Sanding and cleaning with a solvent or gas will not help. Once it is in the metal, it is in there forever because the heat will bring these lubricants back to the surface.
4) If your kart has a grease fitting in the crankshaft for lubrication then a shot of grease twice a month should be sufficient lubrication. The grease is coming from the inside of the sprocket outward, which is a better way to lubricate the clutch. The keyway in the crankshaft acts as a reservoir for the grease, which cuts down on the frequency needed for maintenance compared to oiling the snap ring area. The chain still needs to be oiled frequently to keep it from kinking up. There are some excellent chain sprays available that are waxy and will not let sand and dirt adhere to them. Dirt and sand will wear the chain as well as the sprockets.
If your go kart takes off by itself when the engine is started, with no one in the drivers seat, that is an indication that the clutch is badly in need of lubrication. Turn the engine off and park the machine up against a tree or fence to prevent it from taking off when you crank the engine again. You can also put the rear end up on centerblocks so the rear wheels are not touching the ground. Lubricate as needed. Give the lube enough time to penetrate, then start the engine. If the machine continues to take off by itself even after the clutch has been oiled, the clutch is burned up and must be replaced.
How long will the clutch last? If put on the crankshaft properly and observing all the hints that are pointed out in this article, a clutch should last many years. But if it is improperly installed, driven in abusive conditions (lack of oil, sand, steep terrain, excessive weight in the kart, wheels that are to tall), the clutch might only last 20 minutes.

This too....

You will never ever wear out the clutch pads on these if they are kept dry of oil as they are the same as any 50 to 1000,000 mile clutch you would find in a car or motorcycle. You would have to completely rebuild your engine 3 or 4 times to replace a clutch if operated properly.. Clutches do get soaked in oil and slip due to a leaky crank shaft seal from too rich a mixture. If you have little drips of oil from your muffler your mixture is too rich To fix this just replace the seal and burn the clutch back in. I used to oil my clutch on purpose to cushion the impact of the stroke and smooth out the ride. Dont pin the throttle at a constant high RPM for any amount of time or flubber around at a low one..

Wet GB - might abandon ship

Sorry to hear about the problems Irish. As far as I know, the Grubee gearbox comes with the same clutch whether it be mounted to a Honda or HuaSheng. I might have tried the Grubee myself, but I have the 142F with the smaller output shaft which does not fit the Grubee. The Grubee clutch is suited to the Honda or HuaSheng 142FG which both have the same output shaft diameter. Since the HuaSheng has less power, the clutch should actually last longer because it cannot stress the clutch as much. You might want to check with HoughMade since he seems to be running the Grubee with the oil mix with good results.

Sorry you are having trouble, Irish. I know we have discussed the matter a lot. All I can say is that it seems to be working for me.

That being said, I like to experiment because good enough is never good. enough. I have thinking about automatic tranmission fluid- have not tried it, just thinking about it. the reason is that an automatic transmission has internal clutches that need to lock up in the presence of the fluid and it must still lubricate.

However, my bike is now in dozens of pieces in anticipation of paint...at long last. It will likely be weeks before it is back together.

This too....

Clutches do get soaked in oil and slip due to a leaky crank shaft seal from too rich a mixture. If you have little drips of oil from your muffler your mixture is too rich To fix this just replace the seal and burn the clutch back in. I used to oil my clutch on purpose to cushion the impact of the stroke and smooth out the ride. Dont pin the throttle at a constant high RPM for any amount of time or flubber around at a low one..

I haven't read of anyone experiencing oil leaks from crankshaft seals on either the Honda or HuaSheng 50s. Are you talking about 4-strokes here Motor Puzzle? Also because of the fact that a lot of people find the 56T sprocket too slow they use a smaller one, usually a 48T cos that is the next size down that is easily available. On steep hills it is almost impossible to avoid a bit of flubbering around. That is just how it seems to be. It's too hard sometimes to keep pedalling so the bike stays in it's comfort zone. The smaller sprocket raises the speed at which the motor flubbers and the bigger the sprocket the lower the speed at which excessive vibrations kick in. A good 52T is probably the answer but as yet I haven't found one. The real solution is gears and, with increased fuel costs and a colossal increase in bicycle sales as is already happening, I think it won't be long before the market responds with purpose built motorised bikes similar to those made in the 1930s, 40s and 50s. I think they might be made in Europe and the US and they will have gears, good lights, suspension, disc brakes, mudguards & paniers. Like their predecessors they will probably require registration plates.

Back