Head Advice Please?

I want to try my hand at porting the cylinder &/or piston. There's so much info out there it all becomes a bit overwhelming. I have the tungsten bits & flex shaft so as for tools I think I'm ready but what would you do first in my situation?
That's hard to say just do what you are comfortable with at first and see how you do!The easy ones are the exhaust and intake you can make them wider 2mm each side at the clinder wall and blend that into the port also enlarge the flange area on the exhaust because it should be idealy 1.15 times greater than the window volume!there are ramps in the transfers that have a casting ridge that also needs to be blended into one angle!Also if enlarged exhaust exceeds the dia of the header you will need a new exhaust header that atleast matches!

if you don't know what you're doing, just remove any casting defects from the transfers and widen the exhaust port. raise the exhaust port in 50 thou increments if you want more RPM

if you don't know what you're doing, just remove any casting defects from the transfers and widen the exhaust port. raise the exhaust port in 50 thou increments if you want more RPM
I've never ported anything in my life. The closest I've gotten is wood carving (that's why I already own the tungsten bits & flex shaft) and that's a big difference. What I think I'll do is first follow the simpler option, see how well that turns out and then decide if I should go on. This is basically an experiment I hope turns out well, if so I learned something new and my motor will appreciate it.

That's hard to say just do what you are comfortable with at first and see how you do!The easy ones are the exhaust and intake you can make them wider 2mm each side at the clinder wall and blend that into the port also enlarge the flange area on the exhaust because it should be idealy 1.15 times greater than the window volume!there are ramps in the transfers that have a casting ridge that also needs to be blended into one angle!Also if enlarged exhaust exceeds the dia of the header you will need a new exhaust header that atleast matches!
ok I get the gist of what your saying but certain terms are beyond me. Tomorrow I'll try to find a diagram of a cylinder or cylinder terms so I'm 100% sure I understand what your suggesting. I'd appreciate if you could help me out along the way & I promise to not overload you with questions. Thx

QUOTE="Rusty_S85, post: 438347, member: 27689"]I was looking at that offset 40mm intake the other day when I was coming up with options for my GT5 66cc planning I have been doing. I still think I might want to use the hogsnout 40mm intake that jakes sell that's supposedly been ported. But considering the cheap cost of most of these parts it doesn't hurt to pick up a couple different options to see what will work better for you.
It sometimes gets frustrating knowing so little about these motors. I spend a majority of my free time learning the basics but for such a little motor there's a very large amount of info! Are you referring to the actual intake manifold being ported? I didn't know the manifold should also be ported along with the cylinder, then again I just learned what a jug was two weeks ago lol.[/QUOTE]

Oh I know. I find myself spending more time dealing with defects and faulty parts than I do actually making progress. I am now having to put my project on hold cause I just found out right now that two pieces in my included headset are damaged. The bearing one of them is bent in a wave pattern and one ball is partially hanging out of the cage. Other is a plastic ring that is broke in half on one end. But I guess that's to be expected when you throw the headset loose in a bubble wrap bag and toss it in the box. Way to go Bicycle-Engines now I get to wait another week to make any progress when I wanted to get this done this week and have the wheels done this weekend.

Back