Hello, Moped Community!

cooper.simmons

Local time
7:27 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post.

I ride a whizzer (i dont know the exact model) which i think is a replica of the 50s style. It has the white wall tires and a 150cc engine.

I know this is introduce yourself but I have a problem! I cant seem to get the belt tension just right so the clutch belt slips how its supposed to but the rear belt grabs. When I go up a steep hill, my speed reduces to less than half and a horrible screeching noise happens. Im forced to pedal this monstrocity of a bike just so it will (what I feel) continue to go.

I have adjusted the belt before so it takes me up a hill at 30-40 mph but then when im stopped at a light or stop sign, my clutch is much too tight and it stalls.

Iv played with both of the engine adjust bolts and have finally decided that I want one that is less of a tinkerer's toy and more of a serious vehicle reaching speeds of 40 mph and not having to worry about the belt slipping.

Sadly, my budget is another problem;especially with how important aesthetics are to me as well.

In conclusion, my question to you is:

Should i continue to tinker with the whizzer and be content with having to pedal after a stop or can someone recommend an old school looking 50cc moped (pref with picture) that can reach 40 mph WITHOUT PEDALS and is reliable all under a budget of about $1000 dollars?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments and suggestions!

-Cooper

moped community?u might want to check the name of this forum again.maybe your looking for moped nation?
plenty here with whizzers but never heard them call one a moped.not here anyways.welcome.

I believe the Whizzer Ambassador has no pedals and looks great. There are still a few on EBay.

Hey copper.simmons, You could check out the whizzer section many usefull pages and very knowledgeable people. Hal the Elder just installed a manual clutch for his whizzer that came with the auto clutch, swears by his new setup. I dont have a manual clutch but there should be a happy spot in the tension adjustment. I recently picked up a t and g scooter for 400.00. It stands for twist and go or a complete chinese copy of a vespa. Will do 40mph and has no pedals. In Mass. its reg. as a moped its under 50cc but new ones have to say moped on the paper work or its a scooter and more money to reg. and insure.

Yow!....this is the first time I've heard these called mopeds. Seems like it touched a nerve or two, didn't it?

I suppose you could sell the Whizzer and pick up a nice scooter that's maybe only a couple of years old. You could find something that's very capable in the $1000 range. But Whizzer buyers are a bit more rare than scooter buyers. So that could be a small bit of trouble.

But before you do, why don't you consider becoming a bike tinkerer like most of us? One of the reasons we like it is that it makes our ride just a bit more personal. Sort of like a pet (or maybe even part of the family). Maybe it's not for everyone, but you ought to consider it just a bit.

Good luck.

Back