Help

Sterling Steele

Local time
7:25 AM
I have a 79cc 4 stroke engine that was on a water pump. I pulled the motor off to put on a bicycle. Problem, the motor has a threaded shaft not a keyed shaft. It's also a smaller shaft. It's definitely not a 3/4 inch shaft like the torque converter fits. Question, does anybody sell an adapter so a torque converter will fit this motor or will I have to just buy a different motor?

I'm not sure. You should measure the shaft size, if it's anything like the 2 Briggs 5hp engines I have, it has a 1/2 inch shaft. Someone probably makes an adapter. I was just going to swap the crank in mine because I had a spare crank.

I have a 79cc 4 stroke engine that was on a water pump. I pulled the motor off to put on a bicycle. Problem, the motor has a threaded shaft not a keyed shaft. It's also a smaller shaft. It's definitely not a 3/4 inch shaft like the torque converter fits. Question, does anybody sell an adapter so a torque converter will fit this motor or will I have to just buy a different motor?
I'm going to assume your threaded shaft is at least a 1/2 inch in diameter. I know of no adapter anybody makes that would work. You're probably have to put a sprocket on the engine shaft with a chain to drive a sprocket/shaft for the torque converter.

Pics might help. Is it threaded on the outside or a bore hole on the end? See a lot of adapters just not sure what you have. No key slot at all?

1/2 ID to 3/4 OD, have 5/8 also in choices. Not sure how you'd set it though. Tack weld it to the shaft?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Pics might help. Is it threaded on the outside or a bore hole on the end? See a lot of adapters just not sure what you have. No key slot at all?

1/2 ID to 3/4 OD, have 5/8 also in choices. Not sure how you'd set it though. Tack weld it to the shaft?
It's a 5/8 shaft. No key slot.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back