Hi, new guy about to do first build!

No it's on the left. I ride motorcycles, so my brain is wired for a left side clutch.
I was wondering as you said you didn't use the front brake because the clutch lever was in the way.

Like on MC's the front brake right and the clutch left. I had an old 250 Bultaco Scrambler with the rear brake on the left and the shifter on the right but the clutch on the left handle. Never really got used to that setup, many times I bent the shift lever standing on it to stop.

I was wondering as you said you didn't use the front brake because the clutch lever was in the way.

Like on MC's the front brake right and the clutch left. I had an old 250 Bultaco Scrambler with the rear brake on the left and the shifter on the right but the clutch on the left handle. Never really got used to that setup, many times I bent the shift lever standing on it to stop.
For some reason my brain has no problem remembering "right hand rear left is front" and also on MCs that it's right foot rear right hand front.

I probably couldn't use my brake and clutch both together very well like this, but I can manage it like this I think

Having a very potent rear brake makes a big difference. Not sure why, but this low mounted larger caliper style seems to stop the bike a lot better than a standard V style caliper setup.

I'm very poor, but fairly mechanically inclined, and have a lot of experience on motorcycles. I'm drawn to the simplicity, economic value and like to tinker.

My plan is to get a PK80 Wildcat kit from California Motorbikes. Looks like good value, for a $139 price tag, with the option of making it in 4 payments, which for me would be great with my limited income.

I'm getting a free men's steel frame Raleigh. Not sure exactly about the details yet. May end up having to upgrade later.

In any case, I'm fairly set on the wildcat kit, unless someone is aware of an equal or better value?

I'm not caring about top speed and performance. If it cruises reliably and without working too hard at 25-30 and can climb hills is what counts. I wanna keep it simple, yet as reliable as possible as an alternative mode of transpo to save buck and have fun. I'm sure I may want to mod it later, but I don't feel like going much over 30mph on a bicycle is very safe.

I may even later try a 4 stroke kit. I'm tempted to now, but folks tell me they're more difficult to initially setup, though less fuss and more reliable once set up? Anyway, I have decided to start with a 2 stroke kit.

Anyway, getting the bike later today, so I will begin to have an idea if the frame looks sturdy enough.

Anyway, hello forum.
Hello Markjs! I bought a Pk80 kit from Californiamotorbikes and Zane provided unequaled customer support. I wouldn't think twice about buying another kit or parts from him. IMHO, one cannot put a price tag on excellent customer service-Gearhead437

Yeah, the old crappy fenders, but I've had good removeable once. Simple pieces of plastic that just fall off at worst, with no wire supports at all. They actually are often 2 piece jobs that ride a considerable distance from the tire. It just can be hard to find them affordably, that fit.

That's what I mean though, sounds trivial, but I want very specific type with no wire supports that keeps the water off, but safely. I just have to cry when I see them priced over $50. I suppose if I shop around I will find some. Nice about Amazon prime is the free shipping and easy return if something doesn't fit. I was sort of trolling for suggestions on a good safe fender?
Look up pdw geo mud shovel fenders. Or PDW fenders in general for other designs.

If ya wanna keep those grips try sticking a long thin flat head screwdriver down in between the grip and handlebars in a few spots and spray WD-40 in, Twist the grip to lubricate all around the inside and it should slide off (careful don't poke the side or end of the grips)
But if it's glued or really good then you'll just have to cut the grips off, It won't be hard.
Usually just one long slice down the side of the grip is good enough to peal it off,
Use an air compressor with grips shoot the air between grips and bars and twist comes right off

Back