Homemade Muffler Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard the COARSE stainless steel scrubby pads work wonders. I was afraid to actually use them because one stray fragment of that gets back-sucked up into the cylinder,... and the show will be over. quickly.

but on a STOCK, un-modded exhaust,....I really thought one pad around the 4-inch spout at the end of the muffler would: absorb vibration, and absorb/dampen shockwaves.

BE WARNED,...again,.. one single teensy fragment of that pad gets back-sucked into the cylinder,...ka-boom.

the silicone 6-inch tube hose-clamped to the exhaust spout trick was my most successful attempt at making my motor quieter. no potential for destruction, and its as easy as clamping a 6 inch chunk of silicone tubing to your exhaust spout. it cut out at least 1/3 of the noise. i was amazed.

Last edited:
I tried packing the stock exhaust just around the cap with coarse steel wool at the end and it literally did nothing. I tried the hose trick big Bobby speaks of and it really did make it a lot quieter.

I have found that an expansion chamber exhaust run into a cigar muffler is pretty quiet. Don't want to be too quiet anyway, cars will be hitting you.

I ordered some Silent Sport 2 stroke wool packing. It sounds like its better than fiberglass at sound absorbtion. Its softer.

Did anybody here try using jb weld high temperature. It says it can withstand heat up to 2400⁰F. Which is 1000⁰ more than 2 stroke exhaust. So I guess it will work to glue together metal pieces in the muffler right?

Did anybody here try using jb weld high temperature. It says it can withstand heat up to 2400⁰F. Which is 1000⁰ more than 2 stroke exhaust. So I guess it will work to glue together metal pieces in the muffler right?

It gets brittle after a while.
I use it on my exhaust manifold to the header assembly.

Seems to work alright so far. I have about 1000+ miles on it this way so far.
Honestly, i get more noise from my carb than anywhere else.

Some type of carb baffle box and a slightly stuffed briggs muffler on an expansion chamber works wonders.
Noisy but not obnoxious.

Does anyone think some form of heat resistant gel, glue, or putty work well for sound absorption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back