CVT Honda GXH50 + CVT Some questions

Alekor, Don`t Forget The Helmet, That Frozen Ground Will Crack Your Melon Wide Open!! 50 Years Ago I Tried Riding My Harley On The Snow Packed Roads. It Was Near Impossible With Lots Of Thrills!! How Many miles Have you Been Able To Ride. Ron

Last edited:
A good commuunist would be able to mount the engine in the frame. If the party ordered you to do it, you would do it. I bet Putin could do it.

A good commuunist would be able to mount the engine in the frame. If the party ordered you to do it, you would do it. I bet Putin could do it.

:D
Well in the first I not the communist, and the democrat (in Russia communists remains very little). If I have wanted, could establish the engine in a frame (but I have not wanted). I think to Putin it not interestingly.:D

Has spent today measurements of turns of work CVT. There was a variator starts to work at 4200 rpm and finishes at 6700 rpm (at the tightened spring on a conducted pulley). Out of this range the motor-bicycle is dispersed only for the account of increase in turns. I think this data it would be possible to bring in a theme "FAQ cvt"
The schedule in an investment.

attachment.php

Attachments

• graf_cvt.gif
    graf_cvt.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,207
Outstanding job, alekor! :D It always good to have real data to present. I'll get your chart posted in the FAQ. It appears that you used the Staton adapter; did you also use their clutch? Also, if it's the Staton clutch, did you use the standard clutch springs (3300 RPM) or the 3000 RPM springs?

This is great work, techncially, but mounting the unit in a frame would certainly take the achievement to the next level. The center of gravity and the look would be so much more appealing with the power system in the frame. Why not go for it and install it inframe? Mike
That's a matter of opinion, Mike. A lot of people (myself included) actually prefer the look of the rack mount, as it's more obviously a bicycle, instead of a motorcycle wannabe... And, you don't have to widen the pedals, which impacts cornering, and put up with noise from in front of you, rather than behind.

Last edited:
Give me my lump of coal!!!:whistle:

alekor said:
From a place start very dynamical (the forward wheel even rises), but after 10 km/h dispersal becomes very smooth (I think it is necessary to change cargoes in a variator).
I think you are right, alekor.

Decreasing the mass of the weights in the variator will increase the RPM at which the pulleys begin to change ratio.

You may also want to try decreasing the RPM of the clutch engagement by locating slightly weaker clutch springs a little, also. Maybe 2700-2800 would give you more dynamic range.

How did you determine your speeds and RPMs? In operation, or stationary, with the rear wheel suspended?

I have placed your data into a chart, and have added a line for calculated speed based on No CVT, 17:1 reduction. It looks like you lose about 3 Km/H from the top-end with the CVT, but gain substantial acceleration at the low end.

attachment.php

Note that with BOTH the charts, if the lines were extended at the low end, they cross at 0,0

Attachments

• alekor CVT Data.PNG
    alekor CVT Data.PNG
    38 KB · Views: 867
  • alekor CVT Data.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Outstanding job, alekor! :D It always good to have real data to present. I'll get your chart posted in the FAQ. It appears that you used the Staton adapter; did you also use their clutch? Also, if it's the Staton clutch, did you use the standard clutch springs (3300 RPM) or the 3000 RPM springs?
Many thanks!
I used an adapter and clutch Staton. Up to the end I and do not know what springs in my clutch - when I bought, on a site have been specified 3000 rpm, and at dialogue by mail to me have told about 3300 rpm.

Give me my lump of coal!!!:whistle:

I think you are right, alekor.

Decreasing the mass of the weights in the variator will increase the RPM at which the pulleys begin to change ratio.

You may also want to try decreasing the RPM of the clutch engagement by locating slightly weaker clutch springs a little, also. Maybe 2700-2800 would give you more dynamic range.

I think that I was mistaken. I have reduced weight of cargoes in 2 times, but dynamics has not increased almost. I have left standard cargoes in CVT. Under the theory inclusion CVT should be on RPM the maximum twisting moment is indeed at Honda GXH50.

Dispersal after 10-14 km/h and the truth to become more smoothly, but it is more because of poorly opened throttling valve than the carburettor (I protect the engine the first 300 km) - I think if to open throttling valve the carburettor on 100 % dispersal awakes fast.

How did you determine your speeds and RPMs? In operation, or stationary, with the rear wheel suspended?

I have placed your data into a chart, and have added a line for calculated speed based on No CVT, 17:1 reduction. It looks like you lose about 3 Km/H from the top-end with the CVT, but gain substantial acceleration at the low end.

Note that with BOTH the charts, if the lines were extended at the low end, they cross at 0,0

I have established a speedometer (the bicycle computer) on a rear wheel and measured speed when the variator started to work and finished (thus a wheel have been raised over the earth). For the big accuracy I did measurements many times. From parametres of speed I have calculated turns of inclusion and deenergizing of a variator proceeding from the general kickdown of transmission.

Probably after a while I will increase the maximum speed, having changed a chain drive - all depends on tests.

Your schedules it is much better than mine and very well reflect work CVT.

Last edited:
Back