Honda GXH50 in Schwinn D7 Cruiser

Here is my latest Fosscati FG4 Billinudgel Bullet. It has a few improvements from the original one shown elsewhere in that it has a paint job on the tank that is baked on in layers, the hub clamp is 318 grade s'steel, the muffler strap is 318 s'steel, the tank is mounted on a strip of high density adhesive foam tape so you don't need to tighten the tank legs to refusal and damage the tank, all bolts are Aussie steel with locnuts on the end, the springer bolt has a locnut & cotter pin on it so it can't come undone & thornproof tubes & slime in both tyres. This is the 8th Bullet I have built and they all have Honda motors - I doubt the HuaSheng could pull this heavy steel bike but the new G4 gearbox might enable it to. Nobody seems to want the HS motor even though they are 20% of the Honda price once I include for adapting the carb and governor. Personally I don't think the Honda is worth the difference which is about Aus$700.
The chain is still being stretched so the line of it isn't how I like it. I stretch all chains and ride each bike for 200 kms before hand them over to their new owners. I'm not happy with using the Grubee tensioners and need to make that my next focus for change. They are quite OK if used by an experienced person but very dangerous if incorrectly fitted by a novice. The gearboxes all whine to varying degrees - some are really bad.
Anyway this bike is going to a bloke in Darwin which is 3700 kms from where I live. Any volunteers to ride the bike there?
These bikes ride really well and have great balance but I personally prefer the alloy framed Schwinns because they are sportier and more responsive but the drawback with the alloy Schwinn is that the 7.5" headtubes can't accommodate a springer fork and that makes for a bumpier front end.
Oh yes I almost forgot - of the 12 Schwinn cruisers I have bought there have been 13 saddles (one was a tandem) - those dual sprung saddles that have springs just like Madonna's bra - every single one comes apart on day one or day two and I have had to disassemble and reassemble every one with threadloc and fabricated washers etc to get them to stay in one piece. this is a really serious defest in the design and assembly and even though I'm now very good at fixing the saddle it still takes a lot of time before I can be sure the saddle springs won't crunch through the supporting bracket when you are riding the bike. Lovely looking saddles but the old rice farmer story again.

Attachments

• PICT0014.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 1,136
  • PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 683
  • PICT0008.jpg
    PICT0008.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 868
  • PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 816
  • PICT0013.jpg
    PICT0013.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 1,225
  • PICT0035.jpg
    PICT0035.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 597
  • PICT0015.jpg
    PICT0015.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 551
  • PICT0007LM.jpg
    PICT0007LM.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 919
Last edited by a moderator:
Gearnut I made a mistake the flange unscrews clockwise not anti-clockwise. I'll PM you to make sure you know. Sorry about that slip up.

I received your message.
So the flange has left hand threads, it unscrews bass ackwards, top to the right.
Thankyou for the correction! :)

Here is my latest Fosscati FG4 Billinudgel Bullet. It has a few improvements from the original one shown elsewhere in that it has a paint job on the tank that is baked on in layers, the hub clamp is 318 grade s'steel, the muffler strap is 318 s'steel, the tank is mounted on a strip of high density adhesive foam tape so you don't need to tighten the tank legs to refusal and damage the tank, all bolts are Aussie steel with locnuts on the end, the springer bolt has a locnut & cotter pin on it so it can't come undone & thornproof tubes & slime in both tyres. This is the 8th Bullet I have built and they all have Honda motors - I doubt the HuaSheng could pull this heavy steel bike but the new G4 gearbox might enable it to. Nobody seems to want the HS motor even though they are 20% of the Honda price once I include for adapting the carb and governor. Personally I don't think the Honda is worth the difference which is about Aus$700.
The chain is still being stretched so the line of it isn't how I like it. I stretch all chains and ride each bike for 200 kms before hand them over to their new owners. I'm not happy with using the Grubee tensioners and need to make that my next focus for change. They are quite OK if used by an experienced person but very dangerous if incorrectly fitted by a novice. The gearboxes all whine to varying degrees - some are really bad.
Anyway this bike is going to a bloke in Darwin which is 3700 kms from where I live. Any volunteers to ride the bike there?
These bikes ride really well and have great balance but I personally prefer the alloy framed Schwinns because they are sportier and more responsive but the drawback with the alloy Schwinn is that the 7.5" headtubes can't accommodate a springer fork and that makes for a bumpier front end.
Oh yes I almost forgot - of the 12 Schwinn cruisers I have bought there have been 13 saddles (one was a tandem) - those dual sprung saddles that have springs just like Madonna's bra - every single one comes apart on day one or day two and I have had to disassemble and reassemble every one with threadloc and fabricated washers etc to get them to stay in one piece. this is a really serious defest in the design and assembly and even though I'm now very good at fixing the saddle it still takes a lot of time before I can be sure the saddle springs won't crunch through the supporting bracket when you are riding the bike. Lovely looking saddles but the old rice farmer story again.

Howdy bro. John!

Thought to give you an update on my progress since you were so helpful to me. i went with the honda gxh50 and ez's tranny and bought the rest from be.com.
I am trying to find pics of every style cruiser bike i can but when buying online, there's no way for me to insert the 8"x9 1/2 template in the frame so's to be certain the honda will fit level in the frame center.
Are your pics in this thread indeed of the schwinn d7? did it come with the springer and did it come with good brakes and/or can i easily mount the v brake in it to use with the coaster?
i will likely buy another saddle anyway as per your finding on the stock spring problem.

thanks for the guidance
other concerns:

Howdy bro. John!

Thought to give you an update on my progress since you were so helpful to me. i went with the honda gxh50 and ez's tranny and bought the rest from be.com.
I am trying to find pics of every style cruiser bike i can but when buying online, there's no way for me to insert the 8"x9 1/2 template in the frame so's to be certain the honda will fit level in the frame center.
Are your pics in this thread indeed of the schwinn d7? did it come with the springer and did it come with good brakes and/or can i easily mount the v brake in it to use with the coaster?
i will likely buy another saddle anyway as per your finding on the stock spring problem.

thanks for the guidance
other concerns:

All the Schwinn classic californian beach cruiser frames will fit the 4-stroke. The 2010 range have discontinued all the classic cruisers except the D7.
I would not recommend the D7 in the USA cos it has no front brake. You need a front v-brake or disc brake on any bike but moreso if you have the rear coaster which all Schwinns have now.
The Felt Heritage has always struck me as THE PERFECT bike for a 4-stroke but if the engine fits it will be a very close shave. Nobody on MBc has any experience of this model & it isn't sold in Australia but I have tried blowing the photo up to full scale in AutoCAD and inserting the engine to see if it fits (see picture) but it is only accurate to about 3mm.
Never use a Micargi cruiser cos they are rubbish. I would recommend (cos I can't be sure about the Felt Heritage) a 2009 alloy framed Schwinn beach cruiser like the Alloy Three. Incidentally to pull a Schwinn D7 you need a Honda cos the HS isn't powerful enough. That is a steel bike and too heavy for the HS.
I wish someone would try the Felt just so i could find out.
Lastly all Electra cruisers are too big for the standard engine tray.

Attachments

• Felt Heritage Motorised Bike1.jpg
    Felt Heritage Motorised Bike1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 351
  • Felt Heritage Motorised Bike.jpg
    Felt Heritage Motorised Bike.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 269
Ah Johnny me ol mucker , gotta disagree with your assertion that the HS wont pull the Schwinn D7 , my HS pulls my red bike , with power to spare , the bike weighs over 50 kgs and I run a 40 th sprocket .

Ah Johnny me ol mucker , gotta disagree with your assertion that the HS wont pull the Schwinn D7 , my HS pulls my red bike , with power to spare , the bike weighs over 50 kgs and I run a 40 th sprocket .

Simon, I've built ten of them so I think I know. The HS would pull it but it wouldn't be comfortable and hills would be unbearable. By my reckoning that is not a good combination. I use the old type Grubee GBs as you know. I amn't referring to the 4G because I haven't seen one that works as required.
Yes you have a 40T sorocket but you have a completely different GB reduction ratio. The HS has trouble enough on hills unless you opt for a 56T sprocket which makes top speed too low. It's OK on an alloy Schwinn but my D7s are very heavy especially with 5X thicker thornproof tubes in the wheels.
It is so heavy it breaks spokes. The ideal sprocket for the HS / old GB is a 50T. That would be perfect on the roads around me which you know.
I think your HS also has a 24" wheel but I might be wrong. You can't compare Mark2 GB versus 4G GB cos it isn't apples for apples.
The difference between Honda and HS is really about power & max revs - they are otherwise identical as we all know.
The D7/Honda drinks more petrol needless to say.
Thanks for noting this cos NoPed has a new improved 4G I think and that might well pull with the HS but I know nothing about the new 4G.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 24 rear wheel doesnt matter , it is around 8mm or so smaller in height than a 26 .. the tyre is double the aspect ratio of 26x2.125 , Id love to compare the weight of the d7 to my bike , when I put some wheels back on it and build a new front fork , if I put a 48 50 52 sprocket on it , I could climb any hill , just tell me I build an exceptional and extra ordinary cycle and Ill let it go .

You build an exceedingly beautiful velocycle Simon but I've only ever seen them as small dots in my rear view mirror shiimering in the haze of my afterburner.

All the Schwinn classic californian beach cruiser frames will fit the 4-stroke. The 2010 range have discontinued all the classic cruisers except the D7.
I would not recommend the D7 in the USA cos it has no front brake. You need a front v-brake or disc brake on any bike but moreso if you have the rear coaster which all Schwinns have now.
The Felt Heritage has always struck me as THE PERFECT bike for a 4-stroke but if the engine fits it will be a very close shave. Nobody on MBc has any experience of this model & it isn't sold in Australia but I have tried blowing the photo up to full scale in AutoCAD and inserting the engine to see if it fits (see picture) but it is only accurate to about 3mm.
Never use a Micargi cruiser cos they are rubbish. I would recommend (cos I can't be sure about the Felt Heritage) a 2009 alloy framed Schwinn beach cruiser like the Alloy Three. Incidentally to pull a Schwinn D7 you need a Honda cos the HS isn't powerful enough. That is a steel bike and too heavy for the HS.
I wish someone would try the Felt just so i could find out.
Lastly all Electra cruisers are too big for the standard engine tray.

Hey IJ; yeah the Felt Heritage certainly is a beaut. This experience has been the best in that it, right from the start, seemed like the next right thing to do. I went ahead and bought a "Schwinn" cruiser at kmark just cause i'm so ready to get on the road. While i'm waiting on the rest of the components, i will remove the fenders, well the front one for sure, dis and reassemble using locktite, adjust everything, etc. and then ride the bike as a bike till my parts arrive; by then i should have the bike a little broken in and the MB will suffice till my next build. Great Scot, i'm not even riding a MB and already my head is planning another, lol. it won't be long till i'm sure to want a super comfy seat,etc. how about using one of those video game floor-level rockers, lol, or a boat seat. "You know cause i got ta fine me sometin i's cumfable wit, u no what i'm saying." :)
well all the guys here have been gracious and kind and without everyone's contribution,well, i just would not be the man i am today. before, i was just an ordinary albeit somewhat mental man; very soon though i will be an ordinary/mental man ridin a MB!!!

Keep lookin up mate!

Hello Irish John
I know you have already been asked a few questions but I have one as well.

What do you do to attach the throttle to the carb?
Do you have pics?

Thanks
jared

Hello Irish John
I know you have already been asked a few questions but I have one as well.

What do you do to attach the throttle to the carb?
Do you have pics?

Thanks
jared

Jared, I just use HS carbs which take the standard throttle cable & come with cable barrell holder.
Others on MBc like Fetor, HoughMade, Jimrayser have adapted the Honda throttle & pics can be downloaded to a directory of your own choice but I suggest HONDA THROTTLE ADAPT.
Start searching for threads on the subject.
Heven't I already said this on this thread?

Back