How Much Does An MB Really Cost?

How much do have into your "completed" MotoredBike?

• $200 or less

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • $300

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • $400

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • $500

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • $750

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • $1000

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • $1250

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • over $1250

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters
By the time I was able to ride for the first time I had right about $300 in it all together. Being that I enjoy wrenching as much as riding I probably have a little over $500 in by now. Upgrades are SBP black expansion chamber(not on right now cuz of exhaust leak), bigger Schwinn seat, Diamonfire E3 plug, high performance plug wire and air filter, and have blown out one rear wheel after about 500 miles. also a basket.

Attachments

• S4020538.jpg
    S4020538.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 177
I have about $1200 into my DE setup and close to $500 in my titan setup. Even though I have them both for sale Im only hoping to sell one to finance my next project. I really dont care if I sell them or not I like them so much. Without a garage I put a limit of 2 bikes to have at one time, I just dont have room for another. My next build will be a honda/titan qmatic setup. Ive learned that some things are required for any build I do and that includes front sus, seat post sus, good review mirror, basket of some kind, nomo flat tire liners, comfortable seat, these added costs just make the bike the way I want it.................

New Sun or Trek 21 speed bikes run me $300-400
(they come with shock absorber seat post, 12" saddle upgrade is $10 at time of purchase)

12 g. alloy rear wheel- 50
2 punctureproof tubes 20

Serfa tires are 25 each, tire liners are 15 a pair if they don't want Serfa's, which I recommend on the rear.

Mirr-o-cyl mirror 14

Upgraded kickstand 8

They pick out the GEBE kit, then I get $50 to frame-mount them and run a few tanks of gas through them.

Huffy cranbrook $89
Motor kit $110
Seat and bag total $40
Bike computer $10
Total $249
Used it as my avitar pic
love to ride it, but right after tweeking everything just right we got 13.5 inches of snow....in Texas. Warming up for a weekend ride though.

I have four motorized bikes. Do I get to vote four times?
My first one (my '46 Columbia with a 48cc GruBee) I figured that I have around $600 in it. The second one (1980 Western Flyer with 48cc GruBee) has around $225 in it. My third is a Whizzer, with around $1500 in it and my fourth is my Sun Cruiser with an EZM kit and some extras, coming in at around $700.

Last edited:
wow, thanks for the response so far :)

after 38 votes i see the average price has gone down a bit...more please...

i shoulda maybe titled this "newbies, how much is this obsession REALLY gonna cost you?"

thanks again :cool:

wow, thanks for the response so far :)

after 38 votes i see the average price has gone down a bit...more please...

i shoulda maybe titled this "newbies, how much is this obsession REALLY gonna cost you?"

thanks again :cool:

After what I have in mine so far, it is easy for me to see spending 3 to four times that before I am done. (headlight $20 more, Tail light with turn signals $20 more, Battery $40 more, Charger $35 more, Still looking to change exhaust pipe, Springer forks and make other mods that could add atleast $100 more.) so around $465 after that and I am sure I will want to do otherthings as I go along. But, most expenditures are one time and I can change them over to my next build. And they are all just "want to's" at the moment...I can ride and enjoy it as it is.

29" beach cruiser $95
80cc engine $140
rear sprocket adapter $70
New spark plug $3
zip ties $2
lights $15
gas $3
1/2 gal of good oil $30

total cost $358

I've put somewhere in the neighborhood of $1400 into mine. if my time is worth anything probably closer to $3000.
all the little nickel and dime parts add up. that dollar and some change stainless steel or grade 8 fastener quickly gets to $100 over the 70 or so screws your bike has. a good quality cable is $10, but you've got a minimum of 3 cables on the bike, possibly as many as 6. wiring up a lighting system can get pricy quick too, and replacing wear parts like chains, sprockets, clutch pads, rings so on and so forth over the life of the bike gets to be pretty big money.
still cheaper to run than my truck. I did the math and over the 12 years I've owned that thing I've spent almost $70,000 just on fuel assuming a $2 per gallon average.

Back