illegal to ride motorized bicycles in what states?

anyone know anything about TN? my only interpretation is that as long as its under 49cc your fine without registration, insurance or even a helmet if your over 16 but i wear a hemet anyways

nothings legal here in ny,but i am in upstate ny(redneck farm country) and i have a bike with engine,i may be the only one with a real engine kit(something besides a weedwacker or chainsaw engine).you can get dot aproved tires,buy motorcycle or moped ones and put on bike,they fit if you get the right size or just get the whole wheel.
does everyone know that you can take a moped frame with reg and put bicycle wheels,handlebars,seat,peddals,and your engine kit and it would be legal,because mopeds only need to be registered$50 no insurance or inspection.

in the city sometimes its little hard to peddle. a rider has to be very patient and watchful. i mean it.

Bad state for motorized bicycle

I live in Daytona Beach and in the city limits the motorized bicycle is legal. My nephew rode mine and loved it so I was thinking of building him one. He lives in Ohio, and the laws in Ohio are really against the motorized bicycle, and the only mopeds that you can ride are on a list, and electric is also illegal. I think.

Why this guy seems to think that new york is tough on MB's, first off the only bikes allowed have to be on a approved list that the DMV approves of. Thats the only restrictive thing about new york. We have no 50cc rule in fact their is a provision in the law that say's if the bike is capable of 30 to 40 mph it's allowed, the catch is you must have a motorcycle license, insurance, helmet, inspections. All other states forbid any speeds in excess of 30mph and many require liability insurance CA,TX,VT,IN,PA,NJ, and their are others that require insurance,helmets,brake lights,tail lights,directionals,horn and fenders. I have written this guy,(and explained the requirements) yet he continues his relentless rhetoric.

When is this myth that Indiana requires insurance going to end? There is a bill that is all but dead which could have required it, but that is not the law and it looks like it will not be the law any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
New York defines motorcycles as two or three wheeled motorized vehicles. Any such vehicle must meet all equipment and safety standards for a motorcycle. Lights, brakes, signals, warning devices &c. Motorized bicycles are deemed motorcycles and they don't meet any of the standards for use off private property.

Back