illegal to ride motorized bicycles in what states?

Lou -- regarding DOT approved bicycle tires

yes -- seems that the little demand THING is the true problem

but -- if interested doesn't seem like it would be that hard for tire companies
to turn out DOT bike tires
they sure pop out many different sizes for motor cycles

fun to -- ride those things

Technically, it could certainly be done. The tires would be heavier than regular bike tires, and much more resistant to road damage. The major costs would be the engineering, and the creation of the new molds. The biggest offender would be all the testing needed for DOT approval, though. And, I can't help but think that, with a federal department like the DOT involved, there would be political pressure on them to NOT give a bicycle tire a highway rating. Even though you and I know that there's no way that a bike is going to be traveling at freeway speeds, if they approve a tire for use on bikes, the door is open for that to happen... at least, in their pointy little heads.

Technically, it could certainly be done. The tires would be heavier than regular bike tires, and much more resistant to road damage. The major costs would be the engineering, and the creation of the new molds. The biggest offender would be all the testing needed for DOT approval, though. And, I can't help but think that, with a federal department like the DOT involved, there would be political pressure on them to NOT give a bicycle tire a highway rating. Even though you and I know that there's no way that a bike is going to be traveling at freeway speeds, if they approve a tire for use on bikes, the door is open for that to happen... at least, in their pointy little heads.

It would probably be easier to get the laws changed in Illinois.

Even with a motor on it... it's still a bicycle!

jbbishop: it appears that motorized bikes ARE legal in Utah. They have a picture of a happy time MB at their Dept of Public Safety website, but, it is considered a moped by the state. Per the DPS site, you need a license, to operate, but not a motorcycle endorsement.

Granted, IMO, there's a significant difference between a moped and a motorized bicycle. It's just tough to get the 'magnificent legal minds' in the legislature to understand that difference.

Last edited:
I know the OP said states, but I recently learned that in Ontario, only electric is ok. In Alberta, either electric or engine and you are good to go. Not sure on the other provinces.

I've read that Ontario has started a trial program allowing under 50cc/auto (no shifting) internal combustion motored bikes.

Last edited:
I've read that Ontario has started a trial program allowing under 50cc/auto (no shifting) internal combustion motored bikes.

Lou
Don't know where you read that. To my knowledge the TRIAL program is only for electrics. Gas is still illegal unless you step up to moped class/Lic. Ins. Etc. Same here in BC. but electric is legal/500 watt/32 KM. HR...POPS

While my main concern was with the hope that the motobike could be driven without licensing or insurance, the most difficult part was that I couldn't find anyone who could give me any information about registration, safety inspection, emissions or insurance - anywhere.

jbbishop -- did you see the site posted ??

the most difficult part was that I couldn't find anyone who could give me any information about registration, safety inspection, emissions or insurance - anywhere.

jbbishop -- did you see the site posted by Lou -- loquin above ??

regarding motorized bicycles
it doesn't seem to mention insurance, registration, safty inspection etc etc
it does mention a standard drivers license

looks like a green light for you ????

as you ride that thing

Back