I'm getting a new bike....

You asked for a pic so here is one of my daughters bike that shows the shifter, etc..

mbike4.jpg

Moth

My wife and I got bikes last spring.

She picked the "Moon Dog" and I got the "Monterey Cruiser" http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3596787

She liked the color, and the fact the bike had "all the bells and whistles" well, almost. I got the Monterey based on the fact that it was all aluminum and when I got them off the rack, the Moon Dog weighed A LOT more than the Monterey.

I don't care for the white walled look, but the rest of the Monterey is pretty clean. It is a comfortable bike for us "old guys".

Both bikes have quite a few (relative thing there) miles and no problems with either yet.

I don't know if either configuration will pose problems mounting an engine, but I hope to find out soon....

NOTE TO MEMBERS POSTING PICTURES:
please use our "Upload Picture" feature...it's designed to properly integrate the graphics into our display format. if you choose to use a remote pic-host, please size your pictures to a maximum 600 pixels wide. this makes for easier viewing and reading of your posts.

thank you.

The bike in the picture above is a Moon Dog. Engine fit is nearly perfect. The frame of my bike is almost identical but the rims, spokes, seat are black and there are a few other minor differences. The Monterey looks a little tight for engine installation.

I have long legs and have found the seat post on the Moon Dog to be too short. I got one that is about a foot longer and find the bike to be quite comfortable after that change. The wide white wall tires on the Moon Dog give a good cushy ride but they also get ugly with chain oil stains.

Moth

alright, so i figured what i'm gonna do.... since i'm a little tight on money at the moment, and walmart doesn't have the schwinn in stock, i'm gonna zip over to Kmart and get the Huffy Santa Fe, which is just the same as the cranbrook i think.. correct me if i'm wrong please.... and i'm thinkin about taking the fenders off so i dont have to deal with them breakin and what-not...

-pianoman

I'd leave the fenders on unless you are planning on riding only in perfect weather and then only on perfect, sand and gravel free roads.

They aren't gonna break.

There are about 7 motorbikes in my area which were made from Huffy and Pacific bikes. After a few hours all the fenders have cracked and broken off. One caused a bad accident. If you're going to leave the fenders on I suggest reinforcing them and checking them regularly.

Moth

I have the same bike right now. Just waitin for my engine to come in. I think the only trouble will be getting that rear sprocket past the coaster brake arm. Shouldn't be a big hassle though.

On the 7 speed Pacific bikes the rear hub is a perfect fit for the engine sprocket. It fits right over and centers itself. You also don't have to worry about getting both chains tensioned correctly because of the deraileur.

Moth

a quick off-topic about the fender thing: if ya gotta have 'em, try to get plastic/flexible mount style...unbreakable & even if they do vibrate and rub for a second, they'll recover. i use cheapo "planet bike" full-coverage, never had a permanent problem, ever.

Back