Is it still a motorized bike if the build uses a custom frame and motorcycle wheels?

Ok, it's been a few years since I researched this on a few legal forum boards, but what I learned is this.

A bicycle, comes off the factory line with a serial number. It was built as a bicycle and is still a bicycle even if you add an assist motor. (Assist because you can still turn it off and pedal.)

A moped or any motorized bike came off the factory floor with a VIN number. Even though mopeds can be peddled, they are built with a stronger motor, transmission, turn signals, headlights tail lights, place for a plate.

Now my state of Michigan actually expects people who put a motor on a bicycle to add digits to make a serial number read as a vin and buy some kind of permit. I flat out refuse. I've passed many a cop, none of which have a problem with me. And frankly I'd welcome some jerk to try and ticket me. I would go to court and say "so you expect me to falsify a legal document just to pay the state? NO. I don't have a vin number, this has a serial number. Until some law is specific to a bicycle with a motor added, as of now there is no such law, I will not fake a registration to pretend my bike has a vin. And would you want that to go the other way around? Change a vin to a serial number to not have to pay for a permit? Bet not." That would be my argument. But until enough people challenge their given states on this nonsense, it may never change. States want your money and for some it doesn't matter how they get it. SAY NO and challenge it in court.

Now I read some posts early in this thread about running stop signs. Yea well you are NEVER suppose to run a stop sign in or on ANY vehicle. So yea, do that at your own risk. To be fair I have many times be it on a motorized bike or a plain old bicycle. BUT I'm not stupid, I make sure I can see there is no traffic and especially no cops. (Why ask for trouble.) Still if on a bike, going bike speed, and you can see there is nothing around, it just seems a waste of energy to stop and go. So yea I've done it.

One last thought on this, DO NOT be stupid out there. The more people with motorized bikes post videos of them flying down sidewalks, riding on the wrong side of the road or blowing through lights and stop signs, the more likely lawmakers will crack down on all of us. So don't be stupid. Follow the same rules of the road anyone else is expected to follow.

I have never run a stop sign or the one stop light in town. In my town the further you get away from the main street, the more the roads have intersections without stop signs. I am very careful when I ride on the back roads.

I grew up in Chicago and as soon as I got the training wheels off I started riding in traffic to the lake. Roughly 5 miles I think. And ran more than a few lights and so on but again, only when there is no traffic. (Not often in Chicago.) I'm in very rural Michigan now so if two cars meet at an intersection it's a traffic jam. lol. love it.

I have never run a stop sign or the one stop light in town. In my town the further you get away from the main street, the more the roads have intersections without stop signs. I am very careful when I ride on the back roads.
Only a population of 3,200 folks in your town...Your idea of a traffic jam there would be two cars at an intersection at the same time...lol...lol.

I grew up in Chicago and as soon as I got the training wheels off I started riding in traffic to the lake. Roughly 5 miles I think. And ran more than a few lights and so on but again, only when there is no traffic. (Not often in Chicago.) I'm in very rural Michigan now so if two cars meet at an intersection it's a traffic jam. lol. love it.
We both wrote the same thing at the same time about a 2 car traffic jam...lol...Great minds think alike...lol.

By the way Gordy, have you taken off your training wheels off your bike yet???...lol...lol.

My story of my stop sign ticket was to share my experience of how I was charged on the ticket in CA.
The ticket was for a Bicycle and it didn't go on my driving record,
Yes running stop signs is wrong even though bicycles can legally run stop signs in CA.
I tested that stop sign bicycle law on my M/B because I didn't want to break my momentum at a stop sign that was on a hill,
It was only that one stop sign on that hill as I stop for all other stop signs , Yep I got a ticket and now take a different route so I won't be temped again to run that stop sign,

Pic taken Dec 2022 I now got over 41K miles on my Whizzer in 18 years
I've put over 300K miles on M/C too in the last 18 years with no tickets
I drove over 33K miles in my RV and 300k miles in my SUV with no tickets
Perfect driving record and I get good driver insurance discounts That's not for being stupid :ROFLMAO:
One stop sign ticket on my M/B isn't that bad.,

Stupid is doing the same thing over and over again and not learning from your mistakes

DSCF9603.JPG

Back