ktm replica (liquid cooled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippinaround

Local time
6:20 AM
hi all just wondering if anyone has ever used one of these engines in a project?
49CC-Water-Cooled-Engine-for-05-font-b-KTM-b-font-50SX-font-b-50-b.jpg

have found a bike that was cannabalized and has the engine and rear wheel assembly left , he is looking for €180 for the remains seems like a bargain to me only thing missing is the exhaust .
Anyway just want to know what its like and if spares are readily available .

I looked into these for a while too, just wanted something bigger...

What I found is that a lot of these guys are made by larger scooter and general purpose motor manufacturers. There are even some who make Snowmobile and marine related motor parts.

Several large markets that make very good quality (for what it's worth) parts that are nearly identical to eachother, this is good because even if I have to ship from China I can still get parts. In an emergency I could probably take a name brand motor part (most are a form of a clone of larger companies' motors, like Honda forexample) and make it fit and work.

So parts are very rather available if you know where to buy online. This was something I had to check into if I wanted to use a motor of this type otherwise I'd be screwing myself over by not being able to easily get new parts.

What I think could be your biggest problem is finding a matching drive gear for the shaft that will be compatible with your bikes drivetrain. In most instances you will be able to jackshaft something like a 25 or 35 drive chain sprocket to a keyed shaft, adapted as needed to convert drive sides. Advantage is that you sometimes HAVE to build a better bike as a result of using that motor.

Disadvantages could be things like not having enough access to reasonably priced chain in an emergency. The more exotic the chain is the harder it becomes to find at a good price. Also means you need to store more than one kind of chain and sprocket types. If you ever decide to sell, your buyer might have a problem if they can't get the chain easily either.

I very much was interested in the kick start mechanism they out on some. It seems like a perfectly good way to start a motor since I'm still young and don't tire easily, requiring those dashing pull starts.

Some have integrated clutch and shifter parts that require foot strength to change gears. This could be harder on a pedal bike than expected. For the most part I've abandoned any motor that uses a drive system needing foot shifters or clutches since they would be wholly impractical for anybody short of having the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger or the reaction time and agility of a f***ing cat.

If you can remove the pedals all together then it's a great option should you have some ingenious clamping tactics or have access to basic welding. But then it's not a bicyle anything anymore. It's probably a motorcycle or scooter in most places without pedals.

Weigh out your options, I might be able to provide some recommendations if your interested. Give me the criteria.

Oh and mind you that liquid cooled means liquid storage. You will have to find places for things like coolant to be on the bike. Don't buy oil injection if you can help it because that thing just won't go in a bike nicely and probably weighs 50 lbs at least.

Depending on the complexity you may even have to have blinker fluid on-board as well. Eventually your bike will be so loaded you'll need to use twice as many muffler bearings (which just adds additional weight anyway, compounding the problem.)

its fully automatic so no gear changing or clutch , think its a 420 chain didnt measure but looked bigger than 415 i was planning on using the drive sprocket thats on the dirtbike . I don't exactly have any planned build but seems like good value for a more reliable engine from what i can see online these engines are worth more than 180 just for the bare engine . The radiator seems fairly small don't think it could hold more than a litre of coolant so not much worry there , not sure what you mean by muffler bearings?

i think i will offer 150 for it , may even try get parts and turn it back into a dirtbike its missing brake calipers, front wheel , fuel tank , seat and few other bits i really was just thinking remove engine and sprocket and maybe try use the fork or else sell on the fork and back wheel and bits?

its fully automatic so no gear changing or clutch , think its a 420 chain didnt measure but looked bigger than 415 i was planning on using the drive sprocket thats on the dirtbike . I don't exactly have any planned build but seems like good value for a more reliable engine from what i can see online these engines are worth more than 180 just for the bare engine . The radiator seems fairly small don't think it could hold more than a litre of coolant so not much worry there , not sure what you mean by muffler bearings?

i think i will offer 150 for it , may even try get parts and turn it back into a dirtbike its missing brake calipers, front wheel , fuel tank , seat and few other bits i really was just thinking remove engine and sprocket and maybe try use the fork or else sell on the fork and back wheel and bits?
hi all just wondering if anyone has ever used one of these engines in a project? View attachment 75074
have found a bike that was cannabalized and has the engine and rear wheel assembly left , he is looking for €180 for the remains seems like a bargain to me only thing missing is the exhaust .
Anyway just want to know what its like and if spares are readily available .
If the engine on the donor bike runs well it's definitely worth $180 even better at $150. If it's a real Franco Morini engine even better. I'm guessing you're photo came from Ebay. That is a Franco Morini clone I believe , however those parts original , or Chinese knockoffs , either or fit are easily available. Good luck , and keep us posted on your progress , Josh

If the engine on the donor bike runs well it's definitely worth $180 even better at $150. If it's a real Franco Morini engine even better. I'm guessing you're photo came from Ebay. That is a Franco Morini clone I believe , however those parts original , or Chinese knockoffs , either or fit are easily available. Good luck , and keep us posted on your progress , Josh
its a brand new engine never started parts were removed to fix other bikes , but i dont think its a real morini just a clone . that pic i pulled from google here is a pic of the actual donor bike.

donor bike.jpeg

seems like good value even at 180 but will try haggle anyway because im a stinge haha

its a brand new engine never started parts were removed to fix other bikes , but i dont think its a real morini just a clone . that pic i pulled from google here is a pic of the actual donor bike.

View attachment 75077
seems like good value even at 180 but will try haggle anyway because im a stinge haha
Those engines run $400- $500 the clones , so it's a good deal. Hopefully you can get the cash back selling the dirt bike parts. You can fix the dirt bike , but you can ride the motorized bicycle on the street, more of a win win doing the transplant :)

Also thatsdax.com sells the clones+the ktm expansion chamber complete with the muffler.

Is this the one with cent. clutch, or manual clutch with gears? The 65 cc with gears is very very fast. Better get a real strong rear wheel. A friend has one on a MB. He let me ride it and when the pipe comes on in 2nd gear the front wheel comes off the ground real sudden like. He says he has had it op to 71 mph with more left, and I don't doubt it a bit.

Never run? As long as that's true that's as good as a deal as you can probably get.

I agree about parting out, though at that price I wouldn't even sweat it and would treat the frame and remaining parts as being as disposable as the box the motor would have shipped in if I bought that alone.

If the frame is small enough you could even hang onto it and build a bike for a kid or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back