Kx65 Pipe

Thanks. So I'm probably gonna make my pipe operate from 5500rpm to 7500rpm. Is 6500rpm a good estimate of what I should put in the equation since its in the middle? If not what rpm would you put for the top of the powerband?

Last edited:
Thanks. So I'm probably gonna make my pipe operate from 5500rpm to 7500rpm. Is 6500rpm a good estimate of what I should put in the equation since its in the middle? If not what rpm would you put for the top of the powerband?
You could try it, usually it's the peak but 1k shouldn't be that bad.

You could try it, usually it's the peak but 1k shouldn't be that bad.
Oh ok, I thought how it worked was you pick an rpm such as 6500 and that's the peak power gain, and then 1k away on both sides of it is the powerband range and the hit or power from the pipe as the rpms go away from 6500 goes down about equally on both sides like this graph.

So I'm sorry I just want to get this pipe fabbed right the first time. Are you saying how it works is you pick the peak power gain such as 7500 and then 2k below it is the powerband range and the hit or power gain from the pipe is lower as it goes away from it like this?

Or does it work like the first graph and I just put 7500 in the equation?

Last edited:
Oh ok, I thought how it worked was you pick an rpm such as 6500 and that's the peak power gain, and then 1k away on both sides of it is the powerband range and the hit or power from the pipe as the rpms go away from 6500 goes down about equally on both sides like this graph.
View attachment 99735
So I'm sorry I just want to get this pipe fabbed right the first time. Are you saying how it works is you pick the peak power gain such as 7500 and then 2k below it is the powerband range and the hit or power gain from the pipe is lower as it goes away from it like this?
View attachment 99736
Or does it work like the first graph and I just put 7500 in the equation?
Ok so the hit or noticeable gain in power as in it pulls harder is where the pipe starts to work and the wave timing is starting to over fill the cylinder to make the extra power,this over fill takes place through a certain rpm range we call the power band and the width of the band is dependent on the pipes design and how well it interacts with the port timing.The equation is meant to use the peak because that's where all the timing's are at their best and the lead in and over run are controlled by cone angle and length in the design of chamber/pipe,this can lead to alot of experimentation to find what truly works best if you're doing you're own and alot of math LOL.There are pipe design programs even some free one's that take alot of the work out of it and pretty simple to use,fos pipe design or iwt racing's pipe software which is based on Blairs works are great because there is alot of factors to consider as you will see if you use one.

You're not going to be able to make a kx pipe operate in the range you want, they were designed for all the power high in the rpm range. To make a pipe operate in that range, you'll have to do all the math and cut the steel, a shelf pipe isn't going to do it.

You're not going to be able to make a kx pipe operate in the range you want, they were designed for all the power high in the rpm range. To make a pipe operate in that range, you'll have to do all the math and cut the steel, a shelf pipe isn't going to do it.
I'm gonna lengthen the header to lower the operating rpms. The kx65 looks very similiar to the mz65 though and the mz65 works.

Last edited:
I'm gonna lengthen the header to lower the operating rpms. The kx65 looks very similiar to the mz65 though and the mz65 works.
Does it come on earlier with a shorter header or a longer one?

I put the scooter pipe on my bike and I'm liking it so far, I can climb the hills with it in the lower rpm range. If I give it throttle, it just goes faster. Haven't tried for max throttle yet, I'm still breaking it in. My header is 250 mm from the flange to the first cone.

It comes on earlier with a longer header because the timing between open exhaust port to closed exhaust port is longer at low rpms so the wave needs to travel a larger distance to be on time. I don't know where the divergent cone starts on my pipe cuz it has a flared header lol. But from flange to 3/4 through baffle cone is 256 mm.

Where the pipe starts to flares out, that is the start of the divergent cone and the end of the header.

Back