Losing my mind Chain tensioner!

daveet66

Local time
8:10 AM
One thing after another I might have taking off to much Chain but not enough to keep Chain tight! That's the only thing keeping me from bike being done! I bought spring tensioner off amazon does not line up I tried every spring notch I tried to take off tensioner from other bike I can't get it tight or straight same with tensioner that came with the kit it rubs and when it doesn't I can't get it tight ! Thank you again for the advice I had nobody showing me anything thing about mechanics growing up iam mechanically mentally challenged! Lol

I never had anything but issues with any of the stock solid type tensioners including them swinging into my spokes and destroying tires at full throttle and causing me to crash. I used a master link and chain breaker tool and set the distance to the rear tire as best I could then loosened the back tire and pulled it tight that way.

It's obviously a bit less safe not to use a tensioner but a lot of people don't use them.

I never had anything but issues with any of the stock solid type tensioners including them swinging into my spokes and destroying tires at full throttle and causing me to crash. I used a master link and chain breaker tool and set the distance to the rear tire as best I could then loosened the back tire and pulled it tight that way.

It's obviously a bit less safe not to use a tensioner but a lot of people don't use them.
Damn, that must have sucked. I had the fender come.off the rear of my bike, scarry s**t.

Damn, that must have sucked. I had the fender come.off the rear of my bike, scarry s**t.

Yeah definitely not a fun time when you're wide open throttle and the back tire completely locks up. Leaned my lesson then and haven't used one of those style tensioner since. But I haven't tried to use the spring loaded ones. I Honestly don't trust them to hold enough tension with the designs I've seen

Yeah definitely not a fun time when your wide open throttle and the back tire completely locks up. Leaned my lesson then and haven't used one of those style tensioner since. But I haven't tried to use the spring loaded ones. I Honestly don't trust them to hold enough tension with the designs I've seen
When my fender came off it was like riding on ice. I don't know how I kept it up going 35. The thing kept going for 2 blocks. When I tried hitting the front brake the bike almost slid out from under me.

When my fender came off it was like riding on ice. I don't know how I kept it up going 35. The thing kept going for 2 blocks. When I tried hitting the front brake the bike almost slid out from under me.
Yeah that's really scary. I went down sideways and ended up with a bit of road rash. Thankfully I was wearing pants and a thick shirt but I ended up needing a new pair of shoes as I ended up taking half of them back home with me lol. Definitely walked funny for a couple days after that

On the contrary, it is actually safer with no tensioner, why do you think there are no tensioners on motorcycles???...lol.

I have run mine for years with no tensioners.

Pic below is my bike with no tensioner.

DSCN0229.JPG

On the contrary, it is actually safer with no tensioner, why do you think there are no tensioners on motorcycles???...lol.

View attachment 193873
I know, I know... I need to get some master and half links and I'll get my chain on with no tensioner... lol... maybe then I'll be off the 💩💩💩 list... lol

View attachment 193873
That makes sense really didn't think about it that way. I did have the chain lock up on me due to not having one though. The chain piled up inside the motor sprocket and jammed. Learned my lesson about tightening the heck out the rear tire and invested in a torque wrench and impact driver after that haha

I have had tensioner go into my spokes once and it sucked! took me long enough to put this bike together and made it alot more harder than it should have been but gonna try it for first time in couple hrs when I get off work. So I will probably be on here in couple hrs in a half when it doesn't start! Lmao

Back