Engine Trouble Low power after remounting engine to new bicycle

No pull starter, I have no equipment to perform a compression test. How difficult is it to take a look at the piston an such?

I will check for leaks with a water bottle next.

if it is idling OK, then get a spray bottle of water and start misting all around the motor looking for someplace that makes idle slow down

if that does nothing, then bike may have wheel binding or chain binding or maybe motor is used up
Dried up like left over meatloaf.

Just kidding there's never leftover meatloaf. Just dried up ketchup on the plates and faces of those hungry children who weren't given meatloaf to eat, only ketchup, damn orphans shouldn't have become orphans if they wanted to eat more than ketchup, stay away from my meatloaf! Back to the basement with you!

OK so do you happen to have a pull start installed on this? A sudden jerk shouldn't do much unless you jammed up the chain while the engine was running hot. Smoke kind of sounds odd... Did you do that compression check? Maybe an odd sense I been here before, take a look at the rings, make sure the retaining pin is still in the piston and the ring isn't skirting around all willy-nilly in its groove.
The engine was running hot and the chain was bent when the engine shifted. Seized my back wheel and I drifted/skid for awhile until I came to a stop finally

What exactly am I looking for? Also do I have to unmount engine?
Sometimes you do, if it's lacking room down there between the legs you'll just have to give it a good hard yank should come right out after removing the mounting bolts of course. Speaking of mounting there was this chicken well nevermind that's a horror story for another hospital visit.

I would take the head off and if there's room (should be if you got a wrench on it to pull the nuts, just don't pull too hard) and carefully grasp the base of the cylinder (lol) and lift up enough you can expose the rings on the piston with it at the lowest position (note: anything but missionary) possible and see if the rings are still there in one piece.

not hard to look at piston and rings, but it is possible for a non-mechanic to look right at a problem there and not see anything wrong - if a spray bottle doesn't show anything and with plug out, bike seems to roll well - then this may be beyond your ability to fix without some help from a local mechanic that knows these bikes

a compression gauge can be borrowed free from many auto parts stores - it may tell you where problem is

new motors are fairly cheap and easy to put in - might save you many hours of frustration

Here's where I'm standing

Unscrewed the head with the 4 acorn nuts. One of the bolts came out with the acorn nut (loss of seal = compression loss)

It looks like it may have snapped inside the block.

Here's the video of my recent late night findings

Thanks a million for the help. I see both of you guys all over this website, MB geniuses.

Back