Motorize Bike Packing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did 1200 miles round trip once to tail of the dragon, I brought a spare piston with rings on it, some wheel grease, brake pads, wheel bearings, and the normal stuff like a small pump, patch kit, couple extra tubes, sockets, vise grips, screwdrivers, zip ties, etc. all that plus a tarp and paracord, 2 liters of water, and a couple cans of sardines between my backpack and saddle bags.

I ended up not needing the spare piston but it's worth having. I definitely used the wheel grease and brake pads but that's more a factor of where I went than how far I went, as tail of the dragon isn't exactly easy on a bike. I preemptively changed the top end
bearing before and after the trip, it's cheap insurance against getting stranded in Deliverance territory.
My spares are like nuts and bolts how many times have you lost a motor mount then the entire bike shakes out any nut or bolt it can if a Home Depot is not near your really screwd, best not use locktight agains steel and that soft putter may strip your threads right out I think crazy glue does best job and for inner tubes I say chuck them you can have a blow out at 25MPG+ speeds go smashing on your body solid rubber tire prevent flats also you may have to camp out and the choice places all have cactus or or bullhead thorns, also most likely things to go oout is CDI so I got a spare installed on the bike frame hidden then its best to carry 3 spare master links you can find for under $5 on ebay it may take you twice to correct the problem its not much space or much weight either prevents a week to 2 week wait then will misorder or not got spare magneto there tuff durable but what if it goes out. Also on canpack a spare cylinder or head sounds crazy had one go out on a trip miles from no where.
I have a spare motor in fact if my new test fire proves succesful s**t 16 lbs should I or should I not that has 2 extra Horse Power. Took the Flying Horse on a 30 mile round trip to 7 Falls ran into power loss and idle problems did not locate it until end of trip again 2 loose bolts in the carb reed half to take the engine off because no room on the frame to pull the reed housing off but every time before it goes out speed increase enourmously because its getting more air so I'm think drillin a hole in the housing give more air to breath.

I've never lost a motor mount, checking your bolts every once in a while is enough to stop that. besides that, my mounting is so solid it passes the push test without the back mounts.

I've never lost a motor mount, checking your bolts every once in a while is enough to stop that. besides that, my mounting is so solid it passes the push test without the back mounts.
That's an impressive front mount if it will pass the 'shove test' with out the back tight.

Lets see a pic if your defying mechanical engineering, vibrations should destroy the front mount and a lot of other things.

Do you think a 66cc can take a long journey say up to a thousand miles?
I just remember I have some valuble property some where and thats my only ride.
Just chatted this morning with a guy from Germany admiring my bike he said in broken English you can buy them but you can't ride them in Germany so if you plan doing around zee world tour you can expect to pay hefty ticket fines in Germany!

Lets see a pic if your defying mechanical engineering, vibrations should destroy the front mount and a lot of other things.
it's a pedestal mount on a skyhawk frame and a very rigid exhaust system attached to the frame with thick steel. it's still 2 points of contact even if I lose a mount. the balanced crank helps with vibrations too

it's a pedestal mount on a skyhawk frame.
Well there ya have it!
That frame is designed for that very thing!
You don't want to leave the back loose of course, but mounting a skyhawk engine in a skyhawk gas tank frame is as solid as it gets.

It even plays well with a SBP shift kit.

2_GT2-GT5-2sFrontLeft1280.jpg

The 'Shove Test' is just an easy gauge of how your build is going...
If you can shove your engine by hand it's not done.

http://imgur.com/a/GD14o

Some dude rode a stock 66cc kit from Ontario to Mexico, with zero mechanical knowledge. Thats what I call BALLS OF STEEL!
That sounds like a great trip with my other engine has 2 more HP when I'm in a good mood of taking dirt bike trails I get the veger to take the Great Land Divide Trail where water flows either into Atlantic or to the Pacific, but I have not seen to many pictures of the trail to see if its possible even taking it with a horse is tuff because one raises above 14,000 feet nothing for a horse to eat, service stations probably scant too.

Well there ya have it!
That frame is designed for that very thing!
You don't want to leave the back loose of course, but mounting a skyhawk engine in a skyhawk gas tank frame is as solid as it gets.

It even plays well with a SBP shift kit.

2_GT2-GT5-2sFrontLeft1280.jpg

The 'Shove Test' is just an easy gauge of how your build is going...
If you can shove your engine by hand it's not done.
Hey what is this you said you did not have rear motor mounts your lying you have got TWO! But looks like a really good mounts they look solid. Thanks for the pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back