My 1st build.

Mark 1971

Local time
5:23 AM
Here's pics of my 1st build. Be gentle guy's! This is a La Jolla beach cruiser with a stock china doll engine. Jug and head are integrated into one. I did put a 36t hub mounted sprocket on it. Had it up to 35mph. Two tanks of gas. Running 25 to 1 atm.

Attachments

• 20210530_194735.jpg
    20210530_194735.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 20210530_194720.jpg
    20210530_194720.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 166
  • 20210530_194715.jpg
    20210530_194715.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 20210530_194648.jpg
    20210530_194648.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_20210530-200511_Speedometer.jpg
    Screenshot_20210530-200511_Speedometer.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 181
Here's pics of my 1st build. Be gentle guy's! This is a La Jolla beach cruiser with a stock china doll engine. Jug and head are integrated into one. I did put a 36t hub mounted sprocket on it. Had it up to 35mph. Two tanks of gas. Running 25 to 1 atm.
No need for gentleness here, your 1st build is better than some peoples 3rd build...lol.

Your speeds are respectable for that build.

Time to go to 32/1 ratio now since you have broken in with 2 tankfulls...That would measure out to 4 ounces oil to 1 gal gas.

Also recommend replacing junky chinese spark plug with NGK-B6HS...Most people do notice a smoother difference in performance...Gap at 25 thousandths.

Recommend a full synthetic 2 cycle oil such as the one im listing below...It is what i use as well...Also see if ethanol free gas is availble in your area...it is best to use in 2 cycle motors such as ours...keep up the good work...DAMIEN

Thank you Damiem! It took me a week to build it.. I had to build it twice. Once to mock up and 2nd with blue lockt tight and zip ties. I will get a new plug and oil as you suggested.

Thank you Damiem! It took me a week to build it.. I had to build it twice. Once to mock up and 2nd with blue lockt tight and zip ties. I will get a new plug and oil as you suggested.
Your welcome Mark...Just as a side note...don't make the same mistake that others have done, always mix your gas and oil in a gallon gas can and then shake for mixing it properly...Guesstimating oil and gas mixture in a 2 litre gas tank results in an error in the ratios and cannot be fully mixed into the gas in an adequate fashion...DAMIEN

Ps...good for you with the lock tite and YES, zip ties are your friend...lol.

Get some better brakes, don't rely on or even use the coaster brake, it will grenade on you when going 35.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
it will grenade on you when going 35.
This is very true and why i changed mine out to mag rims with disk brakes...You will need to supply your own brake cables with this set though...I got mine at local bicycle shop, and you would also need a freewheel sprocket for the pedal side of things and a larger bike chain to accomodate the 22 tooth Sunlite freewheel sprocket which is the normal recommendation to accomplish this...DAMIEN

This is very true and why i changed mine out to mag rims with disk brakes...You will need to supply your own brake cables with this set though...I got mine at local bicycle shop, and you would also need a freewheel sprocket for the pedal side of things and a larger bike chain to accomadate the 22 tooth Sunlite freewheel sprocket which is the normal recommendation to accomplish this...DAMIEN

I agree. I was looking at disk brakes earlier today. But I haven't figured out what will fit on a La Jolla cruiser bike. I.E where does the caliper mount to..how about the rotors? I only though to build a motorized bicycle 3 weeks ago..Its alot to figure out. My last bike was a CBR 1000 lol
This is slightly different !! LOL

I agree. I was looking at disk brakes earlier today. But I haven't figured out what will fit on a La Jolla cruiser bike. I.E where does the caliper mount to..how about the rotors? I only though to build a motorized bicycle 3 weeks ago..Its alot to figure out. My last bike was a CBR 1000 lol
This is slightly different !! LOL
I MADE it fit my cruiser bike In order for me to keep costs down since i was not going to the expense of replacing the front fork because it has a holder for the disk brake caliper, i, instead, used an "Adel" clamp which came from an F-16 jet, but as i understand it, "Adel" clamps are used on other types of aircraft as well and should be readily available...im lucky to have White Sands Missile Proving Grounds and Holoman AFB nearby to me...lol.

For the rear caliper adapter to hold the caliper, that was hand made out of a piece of 7075 T-6 Military Grade Aircraft Aluminum but i think any decent grade aluminum would do...It is just simply placed onto the frame with holes i drilled into the aluminum adapter to match existing hole positions that were factory drilled into the frame already and using locknuts along with blue locktite to hold it all together, and its fashioned right in tight to the back portion of the frame so its not moving anywhere...lol...I just over think and over engineer things is all...lol.

Here are pics below of these items...DAMIEN

Attachments

• Adel clamp holding front caliper adaptor to fork. IMG_0349.jpg
    Adel clamp holding front caliper adaptor to fork. IMG_0349.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 175
  • Fabricated Rear Caliper Adaptor IMG_0347.jpg
    Fabricated Rear Caliper Adaptor IMG_0347.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg
    Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 142
Back