My advice: If it doesn't run reasonably well in 30 minutes throw it out and buy another one.

yuckfoo

Local time
6:50 AM
I've received TONS of great help here, don't get me wrong. But .....

If I were to take all the advice from here, from facebook and from discord and combine it I'd have to take the motor off, completely replace everything and put it back together again. It's probably cheaper and it definitely would take less time to just throw it in the trash and try my luck on the next one. 😝

I've received TONS of great help here, don't get me wrong. But .....

If I were to take all the advice from here, from facebook and from discord and combine it I'd have to take the motor off, completely replace everything and put it back together again. It's probably cheaper and it definitely would take less time to just throw it in the trash and try my luck on the next one. 😝
You save it for parts. Lol.

Some people can fix anything, even that one that us "normal" people can't. My suggestion is to find that old man in your area that buys old lawnmowers that are dead then repairs them and sells it. Become friends and you might just learn a lot that cannot come from reading books, forums and youtube. Hands on experience is the answer for us mechanical idiots.

Some people can fix anything, even that one that us "normal" people can't. My suggestion is to find that old man in your area that buys old lawnmowers that are dead then repairs them and sells it. Become friends and you might just learn a lot that cannot come from reading books, forums and youtube. Hands on experience is the answer for us mechanical idiots.
Thats me, but I pull them out of the trash or from the curb. lol. People bring me broken stuff, or what they think is broken, mwuahahhahahahaha, and give it to me. lol

It's honestly not that hard to completely disassemble, split the case, look over everything with a fine tooth comb, slap a $10 gasket kit in it and totally reassemble. Mine locked up just seconds after the first start, was pretty heart breaking, a little cast slag or chrome lining flake got stuck in a crank bearing. I used a diagram on this site if I recall correctly and did it one night and was riding shortly after. If you want to just buy another engine that's cool to but definitely keep this one around for parts like @Karl Snarl said.

It's honestly not that hard to completely disassemble, split the case, look over everything with a fine tooth comb, slap a $10 gasket kit in it and totally reassemble.
If nothing else, as a learning tool, like how we do it. Take it all down and clean it up. By using a broken engine, he doesn't need to worry about breaking anything, it's already broken!! lol. It's how I learned the inside of these. An literally there is nothing inside them. lol

Yea, yea, buy a new kit and when that one does the same thing, then you can take the lesson.

7 or 8 years ago I bought 10 kits straight from a dealer in China. They were good kits, nicely sealed, carbs didn't need a ton o' love, and pretty good squish too. My buddy still has his. The newer breed of kits seem to be just slapped together, so before you even think about installing one you have to check it over very thoroughly. After it's had it's initial start, put a wrench on the head bolts.

Right now you are getting all the heartache from just trying way too hard to get it going. Take a little break from it, just look at it with interest. When you get back at it, start it up, let it come up to temp. Take both the side covers off with it running and point a unlit propane torch at the bearing area, on the clutch side it's the small gear.

Yea, yea, buy a new kit and when that one does the same thing, then you can take the lesson.

7 or 8 years ago I bought 10 kits straight from a dealer in China. They were good kits, nicely sealed, carbs didn't need a ton o' love, and pretty good squish too. My buddy still has his. The newer breed of kits seem to be just slapped together, so before you even think about installing one you have to check it over very thoroughly. After it's had it's initial start, put a wrench on the head bolts.

Right now you are getting all the heartache from just trying way too hard to get it going. Take a little break from it, just look at it with interest. When you get back at it, start it up, let it come up to temp. Take both the side covers off with it running and point a unlit propane torch at the bearing area, on the clutch side it's the small gear.
I like the way you explain things so clearly!

I recommend checking out every new engine you get. At least pull the cylinder off and make sure the wrist pin clips are in correctly, check for metal shavings. Maybe not split the case but at least check to make sure the crank spins correctly, etc... Doing this could save you much time and frustration later. We all know that China has no quality control, I often wonder if they ever calibrate their machines.

Back