Clutch New 48cc Engine, clutch noise

new 48cc, clutch noise and shudder

it's 3am now here in darkest Florida, and I'm off to bed. Will mess with the stupid clutch adjustments again after some sleep.

I just adjusted mine

There are 6 flathead screws on the case. Inside you will find the gears (engine gear meshing with a big gear for the clutch. Their is a little phillips screw (should be there! Will explain a lot if its gone) that locks the star shaped nut in place.

Pull your clutch lever in and lock it or hold it down. roll the bike (engine off) and see if the bike can roll freely. The clutch is held up by a spring when coasting, and may rub a little (scraping sound), but should be easy.

Let the clutch engage. Rock the bike a little. Can the clutch stop the bike from rolling, or does it slip (shouldn't slip).

You can adjust the nut by fingers easily when clutch lever is in.

Put a little grease on the small gear and don't get any on clutch.

If you want, count the number of turns and remove the nut, check our clutch friction pads (under the clutch wheel) for grease, contamination, or damage.

If its good, put it back and re-count the number of turns to install the same as it was. Put the little screw in snugly. Put the case back on.

See if that improves the situation.

new 48cc, clutch noise

Thanks for all the input, but this is not my first BBQ - I know where all the adjustments are and how to use them. Only after exhausting all possibilities and combinations of adjustments did I decide to join here and post a question . . . . was hoping there could have been something I'd overlooked, but apparently not . . . ."that's all there is, there ain't no more" and I've got a machine that feels and sounds like a washing machine full of bricks
:cry:

Hi motorpsycho. I agree with everything else you said, except...
Adding an 'o' ring or washer under the cap doesn't raise the needle. The spring still holds the needle firmly into the slide by pressing on the 'c' washer to hold the 'c' clip hard against the bottom of the slide. The needle height is identical in relation to the slide.
Believe me, I have a fibre washer in the top of my carb for other reasons and it doesn't raise the needle.
I've attached a sketch.
On mine, however, the additional seal did make the mixture a little richer. The carb used to suck air past the top cap before I fitted the washer. (I tested with carby cleaner with and without the washer.)

... Steve
i see what you are saying. when the carb cap is screwed down tight, the spring is collapsed a little so there is room for the spring to move with the addition of an o-ring or washer. what i'm saying is that i can see how you can raise the cap without pulling the jet needle out of the jet becuse of the spring.
thanks for clearing that up.
i was looking at it in my head as far as what would happen if you raised the cap like that, but i didn't take the spring tension into consideration.

i see what you are saying. when the carb cap is screwed down tight, the spring is collapsed a little so there is room for the spring to move with the addition of an o-ring or washer. what i'm saying is that i can see how you can raise the cap without pulling the jet needle out of the jet becuse of the spring.
thanks for clearing that up.
i was looking at it in my head as far as what would happen if you raised the cap like that, but i didn't take the spring tension into consideration.

It's sometimes hard for us to picture things in our head. Look at that thread yesterday where a guy had put his carb on upside-down. I pictured fuel flowing everywhere, whereas in reality, the float needle would seal the valve and no fuel would flow. (Credit to arceeguy)

... Steve

Last edited:
Hey guys, thought you might want a peek at my cruiser, it's my first. And yes, the clutch is still chunking quite a bit even after all the adjusting

Attachments

• Camera 029 (2).jpg
    Camera 029 (2).jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 262
  • Camera 030 (2).jpg
    Camera 030 (2).jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 217
well . . . I didn't know what else to call it LOL . . . . it goes chunka-chunka-chunka-chunka-chunka as I'm riding. I not only hear it but feel in my hands, feet and my little white behind as well. It's pretty strong

I was joking, thought it was a typo for clunking, but glad I said it now.
chunka-chunka-chunka still sounds like it's slipping.
Are you positive that the woodruff key hasn't sheared?

... Steve

chunka-chunka

well I believe that if it were sheared, the bike wouldn't go at all? aside from burning up the keyless shaft, and who knows what other problem

Back