Clutch New 48cc Engine, clutch noise

well I believe that if it were sheared, the bike wouldn't go at all? aside from burning up the keyless shaft, and who knows what other problem

Pretty much, but:-
One extreme - not sheared, no slip
Other extreme - sheared and slipping as you say
Sometimes - it catches and grips most of the time but slips sometimes, ie each time the engine fires or less.
I'd also double-check that the nut is extra-tight.

After all, something is causing it. Live with it if you like, but it is fixable.

... Steve

Last edited:
chunka-chunka

I'd rather see it fixed than live with it . . . . I'd also like to thank you Steve and all the others who have been so helpful (and patient) with my little dilema

I'd rather see it fixed than live with it

Yep, so would I, if I were you. The only time these clutches are really noisy is when they're fully disengaged. ie Freewheeling down a hill with the clutch in. Then the plates just flop around because it relies on clutch pressure to keep everything tight.
When slipping, they're still pretty noisy and definitely clunky.
When engaged, they're not too bad.
You're right, usually when a woodruff key fails, everything just spins, but I was going through all possibilities in my mind. I've seen the situation I described a few times.
Just pull it all apart and examine everything for faults. It should be obvious what's wrong, hopefully.
Did your kit come with a gear puller? If not, most motor kit suppliers sell them.
(If the woodruff key is sheared, you probably won't need the puller.)

Have you owned or ridden these things before?
They are pretty rugged at the best of times - a $1000 Honda motor they ain't.

Keep us posted.

... Steve

Gear puller

yep I've got a gear puller . . . . I guess that's the next step, ah me. This is my first motorized bike. I'm hoping to sell them one at a time for some extra cash, also a hobby for my day off . . . Back in the day, I rode Triumphs and Harleys . . . . . now of all things a Huffy
:rolleyes:

Same here, mostly dirt bikes or big road bikes and now.....
If you're planning to do a few, it won't hurt to get familiar with all the innards.
There's a hidden ball race in the clutch, so if you clean the clutch inserts, ie with brake cleaner, you'll need to slip a TINY bit of grease into the bearings. Not a bad idea in any case, I suspect that they're dry when assembled - everything else is.
Be careful not to add much or it'll throw out onto the clutch inserts. Been there, done that.
Also, use only the puller and not screwdrivers etc., otherwise the bearing retaining ring can come loose and the balls will go everywhere.

'bearing retaining ring' isn't an accurate description, but you'll know what I mean. It's a press fit. Try not to 'un-press' it.

... Steve

Last edited:
Oh, ok. re: email. I saw the pictures in this thread. Very nice! Mine is similar but dark color and longer. I bet you like having the fenders. The whitewalls are classic!

Hey guys, thought you might want a peek at my cruiser, it's my first. And yes, the clutch is still chunking quite a bit even after all the adjusting

Back