New model Whizzer-need identifcation and carb problem

Are you guys sure that the low speed jet has a passage from top to bottom? I have soaked it in lacquer thinner and simple green. I've boiled it for 10 minutes in simple green, heated it with a torch and rammed it multiple times with copper wires and paper clips and it is still not clear. I'd be happy to buy a new one but I doubt any are available. I've had a little experience with small engines and I know that every normal low speed jet I have ever seen has a path from the bottom of the float chamber all the way through. This one feels like it was never drilled. I don't mind buying a new carburetor if I have to go that route but would like one that is like the original. I have no interest in improving top speed. Also what is the recommendation for improving engine durability on this model. Suggestions seem to be all over the place. Can the factory parts be modified successfully?

Although I HAVE seen "blind" jets, I didn't think they were in these Keihen knockoffs. So, I read your post when I got out of bed and immediately, (w/o coffee), went to the garage and pulled the bowl off the carb that came with my 99. Sure enough, the pilot jet was clogged, (I knew this). I took it out and found a wire brush in my junk drawer. By using a wire to clear the obstruction, I can see thru the jet.
I do recommend you buy the 20 mm carb from Paul with an 82-84 main jet. At the same time, get his aluminum intake kit.
Skeezer

Are you guys sure that the low speed jet has a passage from top to bottom? I have soaked it in lacquer thinner and simple green. I've boiled it for 10 minutes in simple green, heated it with a torch and rammed it multiple times with copper wires and paper clips and it is still not clear. I'd be happy to buy a new one but I doubt any are available. I've had a little experience with small engines and I know that every normal low speed jet I have ever seen has a path from the bottom of the float chamber all the way through. This one feels like it was never drilled. I don't mind buying a new carburetor if I have to go that route but would like one that is like the original. I have no interest in improving top speed. Also what is the recommendation for improving engine durability on this model. Suggestions seem to be all over the place. Can the factory parts be modified successfully?
The bottom ends of all the Taiwan bikes are pretty good, (except the metal around the drain hole) and the top ends from 2005 until the end of production of the NE5 were the best top ends Whizzer produced. There are improvements, like crankcase venting that can improved operating temperature and what not. Your engine appears to be a WC-1 and will need top end improvements. I don't know if Quenton Gunther comes on here anymore but he has spent many hours studying and improving these engines.

Skeezer

Skeezer, Thanks so much for the tips. I used a steel wire off a brush as you recommended and it went through from both sides. It's a pretty small hole and the "probes" I was using were just a little too big to pass through. Air passes through it now because I checked it under water. I still can't see light through it but it is probably older eyes. I have it in the ultrasonic cleaner now for yet another bath. I sent Paul at Whizzer/Cruzzer a message early this morning and he was kind enough to call me and go over the top end update possibilities if I choose to go that route. He was very helpful and generous with his time. Quenton Guenther shows up last visiting here in 2016. His website has copyright dates of 2012. I wonder if he is still in business?

Skeezer, Thanks so much for the tips. I used a steel wire off a brush as you recommended and it went through from both sides. It's a pretty small hole and the "probes" I was using were just a little too big to pass through. Air passes through it now because I checked it under water. I still can't see light through it but it is probably older eyes. I have it in the ultrasonic cleaner now for yet another bath. I sent Paul at Whizzer/Cruzzer a message early this morning and he was kind enough to call me and go over the top end update possibilities if I choose to go that route. He was very helpful and generous with his time. Quenton Guenther shows up last visiting here in 2016. His website has copyright dates of 2012. I wonder if he is still in business?
@Quenton Guenther Last seen Aug. 20, 2020
He is still in the Whizzer Business. He works on Whizzers every Day. I just talked with him over the phone yesterday.
PM Quenton or give him a call 252-475-0406

Quenton and I communicated by email yesterday.

Skeezer

Quenton has done extensive testing and repairs to the WC-1 Cyl. He has developed a way to secure the valve seats.
Ya might want to give him a call if ya want to save your WC-1 Cly.
You might not have a problem with your valve seats yet with only 49 miles on your bike. But they will come loose within the first 500 miles. Sadly this has always been a problem with the WC-1. I'm sure Quenton will be able to help you to make your bike reliable.

Are you guys sure that the low speed jet has a passage from top to bottom? This one feels like it was never drilled.

Sure enough, the pilot jet was clogged,

I see both you guys have ran into problems with clogged carb jets.
I understand it's because the bikes sat for a while before you both got your bikes.

Now that ya have cleared the clogged jets and cleaned the carbs it's a good Idea to add a Carb Cleaner Fuel Treatment to your gas to help keep the carb clean. I use Lucas Upper Cyl Lube Injector & Carb Cleaner Fuel Treatment. I add 1/2 oz per gal. When I fill up my 5 gal gas can that I keep in the garage I squirt 2 oz in it. I clean my carb once a year or every 1,000 miles. I also change my fuel line when it starts to become hard and change my fuel filter every year. I normally put between 1,500 and 3,000 miles on my bike every year. I probably clean my carb more than is required but I have a maintenance routine. That works for me.

I use the Pancake style fuel filters and Moton Pro fuel line.
I bought 10 pancake fuel filters on Ebay for $10 and I buy the Moton Pro Fuel line by the foot at my local M/C shop.
And Yes I buy enough to last 10 years. The the last thing I want to do is have to run to the M/C shop or order something when I'm working on my bike. I used to just buy one fuel filter and 1' of fuel line every year. But I save some time and money when I bought 10 fuel filters at a time and 5' of fuel line

Since these Whizzers are new to you guys Also clean off any paint that might be around the gas tank fill neck.
Geno44 You got a Chrome tank ya better make sure the chrome s not gonna chip off on the gas tank fill neck
What happens is the gas cap scrapes off the paint and paint chips get into your gas tank. First it clogs the little filter in the gas tank petcock. Now you'll remove that little filter and leave it out. Then if ya haven't cleaned the paint off the fill neck yet Paint chips will then work it way into the carb. Now the float bowl over flows because the float needle is blocked and or, your carb jets become clogged. Now ya gotta clean out the gas tank and the carb. You would think the Fuel filter will stop the paint chips but little specs of paint get by and clog the carb

Just a heads up, common problems and easy avoidable.
Here is a pic of my gas tank fill neck notice how I cleaned off the paint from the fill neck

Attachments

• DSCF2369.JPG
    DSCF2369.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCF2370.JPG
    DSCF2370.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF2371.JPG
    DSCF2371.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCF2372.JPG
    DSCF2372.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I use Sta-bil in my 10% ethanol fuel which doesn't seem to do the job. I have located a non-ethanol fuel source some miles away and have switched over to that product with Sta-bil added to it for my small and seasonal engines. Time will tell. My Whizzer gas tank is chrome so I don't have the paint problem flaking into the carburetor. The inside of the chrome tank seems to be resistant to the rust I often see in old motorcycle tanks. I would also think using the drain screw in the bottom of the Whizzer tank would be a good idea in the off season. I've got to scare up a pair of tires and tubes for my 2003 as they are getting dry cracked. Does anyone know what process Quenton actually uses and about what it costs? Paul offers a complete kit which I guess is a new piston and cylinder and other stuff. There certainly is a lot to learn about these. I don't remember the same amount of problems with the originals 60 years ago.

I use Sta-bil in my 10% ethanol fuel which doesn't seem to do the job. I have located a non-ethanol fuel source some miles away and have switched over to that product with Sta-bil added to it for my small and seasonal engines. Time will tell. My Whizzer gas tank is chrome so I don't have the paint problem flaking into the carburetor. The inside of the chrome tank seems to be resistant to the rust I often see in old motorcycle tanks. I would also think using the drain screw in the bottom of the Whizzer tank would be a good idea in the off season. I've got to scare up a pair of tires and tubes for my 2003 as they are getting dry cracked. Does anyone know what process Quenton actually uses and about what it costs? Paul offers a complete kit which I guess is a new piston and cylinder and other stuff. There certainly is a lot to learn about these. I don't remember the same amount of problems with the originals 60 years ago.
The Vintage Whizzers had Cast Iron Cyls with intergal valve seats.
I got a few NE-5 cast Iron cyl from a guy named Ralph Westman. I have one on my bike now. Sadly Ralph passed away in Jan, 2020
and his Cast Iron Cyl aren't available any more. Ralph made cast Iron WC-1 and NE-5 cyls and aluminum heads

The way Quenton secures his valve seats is with set screws and by penning. Like I said he developed his own technique.
Call or PM @Quenton Guenther for a $

Others have tried to press in new valve seats but they came loose too. The reason the pressed in valve seats come loose is because the cyl temp are too high. Cast Iron valve seats in aluminum. I know all M/C and M/B manufactures use cast iron valve seats pressed in aluminum. But the temps of the Air Cooled Aluminum Whizzer Flat Head Cyl just cant take it. Whizzer in 2005 came out with the NE-5 with cast in place valve seats and that worked But today sadly NE-5 cylinders are impossible to find.

The Cruzzer Cyl has vale seats that are pressed in place or a valve cassette I hear the valve cassette is the worst.
I have never used a Cruzzer Cyl so I can't recommend it. They are under 1 year warranty and Whizzer- Cruzzer - Paul will Honor the warranty. another thing about the Cruzzer Cyl the intake and Exhaust ports are smaller the valves are the same size but the ports are smaller.

Also ya can use a vintage H cyl on a Modern Whizzer with a little work
Believe it or not there are more vintage Whizzers around then there are Modern Whizzers
Vintage Whizzer made about 250,000 - Modern Whizzer made about 15,000 and Cruzzer ???

Back