new pic.s NE-5 Whizzer

Well, if it works, here are the latest pic.s of the 1950 Schwinn DX / Whizzer NE-5 I'm building to ride to Indiana. It's coming together nicely now...

Side view-
166_1950_DX_Whiz_1.jpg

Front view-
166_1950_DX_Whiz_front_1.jpg

Rear View-
166_1950DX_Whiz_rear_1.jpg

Here's a couple of pic.s of one of my smaller storage areas with some of my toys/projects-
166_Bikes1_1.jpg

and another; "the Barnstormer" project in the back is my rack mounted 'Island Hopper' friction drive system, modified with an old skateboard wheel-
166_Bikes2_1.jpg

These are the results of combined boredom, a gas torch, and some Captain Morgans. I had some old wrenches in a box, and started goofing around with them. After I twisted them, I spied a couple of old brake levers, and well, with some cutting and brazing, you see the result. Dunno what I'm gonna use 'em on, but I'll figure it out-
166_Kustom_brake_levers_1.jpg

Well, that's about it for now...
Thanks for lrtting me share!
Rif

Bill Snow said:
I see you have welded mounts, that looks a lot better than the clamp mounts I used on the Black Phantom and probably stronger too.

What a collection you have, This is the fun part, to see the other bikes out there and what others are doing, no matter how different. Is that maroon bike in the background a Whizzer pacemaker 11. If so, I have one just like it. Had a few bugs to work out but doing fine now.

That NE-5 seem to be a good engine, Will be interesting to watch your progress.

Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Yeah, I like the weld in mounts vs. the clamp ons, though the clamp on units are closer to the original/vintage engine kits, and thereby (IMHO) a better look for the phantom.
It took a long time for me to get this collection. I spent many, many years at low wage jobs; scraping and saving pennies to get one engine kit and bike together. Over time I built a few, and had a lot of fun; recently I had a bit of *monkey paw* money come my way and was able to afford a couple more. Most of my buildups are more about art and fun than anything else. "The Barnstormer" was a quick, fun project that happened in an afternoon.
I had the Island hopper kit sitting on a shelf and no bike really to put it on.
I went out to my storage shop (in my parents barn) and just started grabbing parts, brought it all back home, put my Hank Williams (sr.) cd on full bore and went for it. The idea behind it was to build something that looked like a couple of kids had put it together in a barn using whatever they could find lying around. I think it came off pretty well...
That pacemaker is the most recent addition to my colection. It is a 2002 with a WC-1 engine. It has 10 miles on it. I purchased it from a gentleman who bought it for his father. Interesting story there- but perhaps I'll save that one for another time...
Glad you like the pic.s. I love this hobby, but to me what really makes it what it is are the great people and sense of 'community' amongst us all who are involved. I live for the creating/designing, building, and riding of these crazy contraptions, but truly the hobby overall wouldn't be what it is, without this sort of comraderie amongst the enthusiasts!
Take it easy guys,
Rif

Saabsonettguy said:
I think it would look awesome with the exposed ohv setup.
That's for next winter's project.
Hint:
1948 CZ 125 rigid frame modified with leaf spring (from an old salvaged cushman truckster) rear suspension, OHV 'exposed' whizzer, Albion 3-speed (from a pre '73 Rokon Trailbreaker) Puch moped front end, and various other bits and pieces from old hondas, whizzers, bicycles, CZ motorcycles, tractors, and whatever else I have lying around...

Is this a new shed? next thing ya know you'll have heat and everything.

antique-rider said:
Is this a new shed? next thing ya know you'll have heat and everything.
Yeah, it's one of those prefabbed rubbermaid type sheds. 8' X 15'. Man it's nice! It is allowing me to be able to clean and organize my work area so I have room to build my bikes and art projects...
I'm getting everything moved from my parents place, my apartment, and from around here all together in one place and going through it all.
Most of it is useless stuff that is being recycled and going to the dump.
My next adventure after i finish Ali's project* is to lay a concrete pad and construct a three sided 'equipment shed' type structure for storing old cars, parts, junk. materials, etc.

*right now Ali has me expanding her Koi pods, so I'm in the process of transplanting a garden and digging a 7' L. X 5' w. X 3' d. hole and setting up for the liner, pumps, filters, water features, etc.

Back