New Staton axle mounted kits

Moondog, thanks for postng that link. Some of those "OLD" bikes are way cool ! Some are probably much better quality than todays stuff as well.

Monday night

I was watching that show called American Pickers, and they had a M/B from before WWI.. It was a real m/b !!! A engine kit that you purchased and installed on your own bike ... it almost looked like the staton axel mount...
Way cool ... The owners would not part with it .. Dont blame them !!! it looked like brand new ...

I"m really excited about this kit. I even have the same bike, a Sun Sunray, that's on the website.

OK, 7th gas tank update.....

Overall I am pleased. The gearbox has gotten quietier. It is still louder then the friction.
What I am really enjoying is the fact that there is no slip (like a friction when you go through a puddle). I am so conditioned to avoid puddles that I find myself going around them with the axle drive and remembering after the puddle that it won't slip.

I took the gps out of my car and zip tied it to my handlebars. Stock gearing.....28mph. I am looking forward to gearing up (higher gear ratio) as soon as gears are available. Personal preference here: I prefer lower rpms at cruising speed while having less accerleration. Going to a higher gear ratio will probably insure having to pedal from a dead stop. I am willing to accept that.

I am going to wait until 10 tanks of gas to post a review.

When you say ......

Gearing up, are you refering to new gears for the Staton gearbox ???
Or just getting a new rear Sprocket ???

Cause I was thinking the you could achive the same goal by getting a sprocket with less teeth ...

Just like on dirt bikes " more teeth = more tourque
Less teeth = less tourque more top end..

18t sprocket seems to be the only #25 sprocket available at the gearbox. You could reduce wheel sprocket size from 80t to 65t, giving more top end. Something like this:

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3571

I used this calculator:

http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=18102

With your present 22.22:1 gears, engine spins 8050rpm at 28mph.

Changing wheel sprocket to 65t changes ratio to 18.06:1. At 8050rpm, bike speeds up to 34.5mph.

With 18.06: gears, engine speed reduces from 8050rpm to 6525rpm at 28mph.

Something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea 5-7

Thats what I was thinking !! Would be real easy to just change out the wheel sprocket...... and hey if it just sucks you can change it back and sell the sprocket on fle bay.

The smaller sprocket WILL work, because the gear ratio is so close to the Staton 18.75:1 chain drive kit. How well the new gear ratio works is for the MB'er to decide.

:unsure:If you install a chain tensioner, ya don't even need to shorten the chain when changing sprockets!

Is the teeth size the same on that sprocket that you gave the link to? The chain and sproket for the axle mount uses a really small chain and tooth size.

Back