Newest Phantom 85 Information

:)

Been watching a couple phantom vids of failure...

One common denominator ... each was going balls out. NOW... is it really that much of a stretch to think these guys didn't rock the full 350 mile break-in period?

:)

Been watching a couple phantom vids of failure...

Once common denominator ... each was going balls out.

YES

LA for example went 32:1 even though they say not too and went for a long multi mile drive even though they say don't run 32:1

so if people like him who make videos constantly of M/Bs and give out info on how to run a bike how many other people are doing it

also watched a guy take it to 50+ mph then complain it broke

I'm not a "balls out" kinda guy.

See... i've eaten the pavement before being an avid biker (as a kid). I've also eaten s**t on a dirt bike too many times to count. What I have managed to NOT do (thankfully!!) is eat pavement while riding a motorcycle or motor bike (thus far). I'm none-too-keen on the idea... and the idea of WOT for minutes on end simply makes me cringe. I'm only rockin' WOT for MAYBE 30 second bursts at a time. I am typically cruisin' 20-22mph. Now, with this new bike, I am hoping that "cruisin'" is more comfortable at 30-35mph eventually because, frankly, 90% of my town has a 35mphs speed limit and that would put me right up there to being able to roll with the autos rather than hugging the line and hoping people don't side swipe me.

I'm not a "balls out" kinda guy.

See... i've eaten the pavement before being an avid biker (as a kid). I've also eaten s**t on a dirt bike too many times to count. What I have managed to NOT do (thankfully!!) is eat pavement while riding a motorcycle or motor bike (thus far). I'm none-too-keen on the idea... and the idea of WOT for minutes on end simply makes me cringe. I'm only rockin' WOT for MAYBE 30 second bursts at a time. I am typically cruisin' 20-22mph. Now, with this new bike, I am hoping that "cruisin'" is more comfortable at 30-35mph eventually because, frankly, 90% of my town has a 35mphs speed limit and that would put me right up there to being able to roll with the autos rather than hugging the line and hoping people don't side swipe me.

i understand that, i don't ever go full throttle, i live in bum retards ville, i set it to half throttle just cruise in open land till i get to my destination

smelling the fresh air, watching as i go by the amish people

I took all the extra steps with mine because my motor had a solid tablespoon of shavings in it and I am who I am. I don't do things the "right" way. I only ran regular oil for the first tank, been running vp synthetic ever since. I went wide open toward the end of the second tank, and have been riding it like normal ever since. I do plan on trying 40:1 once I get my bike back together, and it stops being 100 degrees outside, with all of the new upgrades.

The difference between me and most people is that I understand the risks and the signs of potential catastrophe. I am also doing this build for fun, and I don't have to rely on it for transportation. Even if I do blow it up I can just try something else and go for it again.

As for the whole window or no window thing. The MS460 saw makes incredible power and does not use windows or a Reed. It isn't that surprising that a Phantom would perform well without said items either. In all honesty, if you port match the intake and open things up like I did and run a bigger carburetor than the Bofeng with the squish gap set less than 1mm you would probably be pleasantly surprised.

Theres a vid of a saw engine running thru a stock muffler, sounded nice. I believe its in the vid I posted back in this thread, towards the end.

OK, As the guinea pig for the newest Phantom 85, I ran into this problem this morning on the way back from my Dr. appointment and immediately stopped the motor and waited for my landlord with pickup truck to arrive...lol.

The motor had stuttered and recovered twice which it has never done before and I could here tiny pings of metal so shut it right down.

Upon getting it home, I disassembled the carby and the reed valve and exhaust from the jug and then pulled the jug and piston.

To my pleasant surprise, I found the needle valve, wristpin and the wristpin clips and piston pins and rings totally intact.

Much to my chagrin, I found pieces of the top of the edge of the piston chipped off on the exhaust side of the piston and the fragments from the piston residing at the top of the jug also on the exhaust side of the jug.

I have contacted via E-Mail, bicycle-engines.com about this new situation as I am only into about a month into the warranty period with just 88 miles on it thus far.

To those of you that have the Phantom 85, Have any of you seen this problem as of yet yourselves on the Phantom motor???

DSCN0239.JPG

DSCN0246.JPG

Back