Newest Phantom 85 Information

I don't think it would run at 270psi, even if you could get it started. 11.5:1 is about 210psi on a gauge. Typically a car engine will detonate like crazy with anything over ~230
That's what I'm thinking. The only thing in common with my old engine and this one (which both have high readings) is the reed valves. I've used it on my 2 stroke piston port wheeler and my 4 stroke motorcycle with no problems.

That's what I'm thinking. The only thing in common with my old engine and this one (which both have high readings) is the reed valves. I've used it on my 2 stroke piston port wheeler and my 4 stroke motorcycle with no problems.
A Reed will not cause high compression. It keeps the crankcase under pressure until the upper transfers are open and then the.cylinder fills. Overpressure in the chamber will bleed out the exhaust, and even with a pipe working in its ideal range won't force that much pressure into the cylinder before the exhaust closes.

My Phantom consistently reads around 185psi dead cold. This is with a flat top piston with a slightly larger than .9mm squish gap and 1 base gasket removed.

A Reed will not cause high compression. It keeps the crankcase under pressure until the upper transfers are open and then the.cylinder fills. Overpressure in the chamber will bleed out the exhaust, and even with a pipe working in its ideal range won't force that much pressure into the cylinder before the exhaust closes.

My Phantom consistently reads around 185psi dead cold. This is with a flat top piston with a slightly larger than .9mm squish gap and 1 base gasket removed.
That's what I thought, but I can't think of anything else. I guess it's just an inaccurate reading.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought on a plug chop you are supposed to hold throttle wide open after killing engine. Try some 92+ octane fuel, & see what happens. But yeah timing has a big affect on dieseling.
You don't need a wide open throttle for the plug chop. If you know what speed you like to ride at, lets say 7500rpm, then ride at that speed for a sustained length of time. 5 minutes should do it, then kill the engine without throttling down. Now check the plug, that will give you the best info on your cruising mixture.

Yep, unless I'm having dieseling problems. I tested my compression and it was 270 psi. I've used this tester on other engines and it seems accurate. My squish gap is .97mm using 2 gaskets that are 1/32" thick, head nuts torqued to 144 inch pounds.
You should get your gage verified. Carbon build up will cause detonation because the carbon will glow red hot and ignite the fuel before it gets compressed.

You don't need a wide open throttle for the plug chop. If you know what speed you like to ride at, lets say 7500rpm, then ride at that speed for a sustained length of time. 5 minutes should do it, then kill the engine without throttling down. Now check the plug, that will give you the best info on your cruising mixture.
Throttle position really doesn't matter with a proper plug chop anyway. You should be hitting the kill switch and pulling in the clutch at almost exactly the same time.

You can also do a plug chop at any throttle position. The point is to simply "Freeze time" with the fueling at a given point. Wide open is the best indicator of the main jet fueling. Half throttle/Part throttle for the needle position.

Back