Tubes No More Flats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hole was in the side of the tube. Not really a hole, but more like an abrasion. It was a $2.59 tube so I believe it may have been defective. That and the fact that it was a balloon tire with a max psi of 35. I'm like 280 pounds and the tire looked really low, so it was riding on the sidewall most of the time which really makes it suceptible(sp) to punctures. I have since ordered a couple of acrobats that will inflate to 70 psi which should remedy the situation.

Now I have physical problems. Got clobbered by an suv while riding my wifes scooter. Doing 30 mph and an idiot turned left directly in front of me. BAM!!!!!
So now, I have a couple of cracked ribs and bruises and soreness through the whole of my body. It will be awhile before I get to try out the new tires, but I'm hopeful.
somtimes u have to cut the bead off the inner tire.MOST OF THE TIMES

There shouldn't be a problem with the tires moving, as long as the inner tube is inflated. It should provide enough pressure to keep things together.

Especially if you make sure the rubber of the inside tire has been well scrubbed and air dried before you put it in.

Well, so much for the tire within a tire concept. Been like 3 or 4 days now and guess what? Went to wheel bike out for a ride today, and there it was, flatter than a pancake. Sheesh. There MUST be an answer other then those dag-gummed solid tubes.

Yep, I got a flat on my rear tire too. Luckily it was a slow leak so I was able to walk my bike off the gridlocked highway, onto a short section of sidewalk, then to the bikepath.

Thank God for options.:D

When I replaced the tire and tube there were no visible signs of puncture.

Still baffles me. The Michelin tire was labeled puncture-resistant, as was the tube. I had just pulled off the highway onto the sidewalk to fix a fuel problem. A minute later the tire was flat.

Anyway, high-quality Michelin tire and thick puncture-resistant tube was replaced with Chinese 2.125" tire and standard tube....and the tire-within-a-tire casing.

Luckily I had a spare assembled wheel to use.

Time will tell...again.

Another Flat!

My front and rear have a tire-within-a-tire, and I'm STILL getting flats!

On Sunday Hawaii Ed mentioned that my front tire was bald and unsafe. On Monday night I replaced it and rode to work in the morning. Just as I left my driveway I could hear my rear friction roller slipping on its tire.

Hmmm. After installing my new special engagement strut I was VERY surprised the roller had slipped. Being in a hurry I pulled on the roadside and adjusted the strut. The roller STILL slipped; I figured I'd check everything before leaving work.

During the course of the day I realized I hadn't loosened the LEFT-SIDE engagement strut to adjust friction roller engagement. :sick:

THAT'S why the roller hadn't readjusted deeper into the tire casing...or so I thought.:confused:

With that in mind I walked to my bike after work...to find a flat rear tire!

While replacing the rear tire there were no nails or thorns. There was a little bit of tire "dust" between the inner and outer tire casings. This is something I've noticed whenever I've repaired my "tires-within-tires.

I presume it's because of the friction between the inner tire's tread and the outer tire's inner casing.

Anyway no holes were found in the casings ORRR the tube. I haven't checked for holes but I'll do that when I have time.

The strange thing is that I pumped up the flat tube two days ago and it's STILL holding air.

My bike sits outside at home and at work. It could've been a prankster who flat my tires. :confused:

Anyway I've got two new Kenda Flame 26 X 2.125 tires. They have very hard tread surface and should wear well with friction rollers.

Seems like I get flat tires once a month, or about 300 miles. "The Dragon Lady" is a daily driver, so I guess I'll just have to accept flat tires as part of maintenance.

It's a cheap fix but a pain in the butt to fix. My son usually picks me and the bike up whenever I get a flat on the road. He's been a lifesaver when I've been pressed for time. However I'll start carrying a tube and air pump from now on.

This is the SECOND flat I've had with my "tire-within-a-tire". It's STILL a mystery why it goes flat. I need to check the tubes.:geek:

Yeah check the tubes.Maybe the valve stem?Prankster?Not a very funny prank.

I dont think a little dust inbetween the two tires should hurt.
I sold my friction drive with the doubled up tires.Im trying to get my chain drive bike geared down right now but i cant seem to get the parts together.When i get it running right ill double up the tires.

GOOD LUCK!

I went to check on the guy i sold my friction drive to today.He said hes loving it even tho hes only put maybe 30 miles on it.he said he hasnt had any flats not that i thought he would.

As far as the new bike goes i got it going.Ill double the tires with the first flat.

I have installed Armidillo tires crosscountries by Specialized---they are equipped with puncture resistant tubes--they are supposedly the most advanced tire to prevent flats-- on one factory test 11000 miles and no flats !! no flats for me yet !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back