P.i.n.o.

Oh, I basically agree as regards having enough power to accomplish the goals in a safe, sane, responsible fashion, without over-stressing the engine. I think the fastest I've ever had the trike rolling was maybe 20 mph. As an upright trike conversion, 20 is fine on the straight and smooth, but cornering? Not happening at that speed. Around the neighborhood I occasionally have a kid running alongside, asking me questions. Admittedly, they soon tire out, so I generally stop to talk with them. Mostly I motor around at 10-12v mph, which for my needs and tastes is more than adequate.

I had planned to build myself a long distance touring tadpole, and hoped to do some extended tours with it. With the imminent kidney failure I am facing, that is a dead dream - long distance trike touring isn't compatible with regular dialysis.

So, I'm mostly just trying to help others achieve their dreams - by doing that I make them mine as well, and knowing I've helped them is about the closest I can get.

I also see the best fit of these bikes as being "motor assisted", not as being "junior motorcycles". I have no use for lots of power, and feel quite strongly that speeds in excess of 30 mph on a bicycle are more than a bit foolish. Racing? Who needs it?

That's the basic assessment that does bring up the point of "who needs racing for these things?".

My "vision" on this topic has been evolving for four years now. If you allow too much power into the racing then it crosses into motorcycle territory and the pedals become useless. The pure Cyclists have a complete disdain for all things motorized and so they are of no help at this point. As I see it "if" the racing is to become something that might be an Olympic sport one day (like BMX recently did) then you need to have a significant athletic component to make it a real "sport". There will never be auto or motorcycle racing in the Olympics because there is no clear athletic component. (I like to think big about things) However, something like motocross is so physical that it could be an Olympic sport if it isn't already. (not sure)

I guess you can summorize the purpose of the acronym is to GIVE SOME STRENGTH to those that are struggling against public opinion and starting to think about limited powered ebike racing. I'm trying to give a language for the 1000 watt racer to legitimize himself against the much faster gas bikes and hyper active electric bikes.

Racing? It's still a "what is it" right now for motorized bikes... I'm trying to mold the language so that what is now perceived as "weak" is valued at "strong". Less power allowed for the motor means more power required of the rider... making it a real sport that actually COULD in theory one day become an Olympic sport. (they would regulate the heck out of the 1000 watt input limit so that you could not be off my more than 1%)

Img214103008.jpg

Last edited:
Still, Simon, you raise a valid point - these aren't racing machines, just simple crude transport.

I love the idea of a trike, too, but on these roads I wouldn't last 5 minutes. Gotta stay skinny to survive.

Sorry to hear about the kidney trouble. Another member and a friend, billpb1222, is in the same boat. He hasn't been well and I haven't heard for a bit so this is a reminder to say hello.

Sorry, safe, our posts got crossed.

Last edited:
Back