Phantom 85

skiles Whitney

Local time
6:21 AM
Question, I purchased a phantom 85 in November 2022, I put two stroke gas/oil mix in the crankcase and gas leaked out so I wanted to see if they would help me replace the gaskets, they sent me new gaskets.

Being the middle of winner I didn't mess with the bike. Two days ago I took the engine off, took the cylinder out, piston out, dumped gas in this crank case to clean out any thing that might have been in there, and noticed gas was leaking, but it was from a hole in the bottom of the crankcase, not the gasket.

Has anybody ran into this problem with a hole being in the crankcase from the factory?

I can tell it's not broke there's no cracks, it's all smooth, and it looks like the aluminum just didn't fill the cast mold completely.

Just curious because their six months warranty has expired and they're not going to fix it, customer support has been very helpful but now I have to purchase a whole new engine just seeing what your guys's thoughts are.

Did you buy it from bicycle-engines.com???...If so, your warranty, sadly has expired as I can see from your purchase date, sad that you hadn't noticed that when inspecting the motor thoroughly when it arrived.

I would call them and ask them if you can just buy the bottom half of the motor rather than having to buy a whole new motor.

It may also be possible that the hole could be filled in with JB Weld in order to repair it...Wait for others to chime in here with their recommendation though...lol.

Thankfully, yd100 crank cases are fairly cheap. I woul just get a new crankcase, 2 nest 7mm worth seals, and good quality bearings for the crank and clutch. Build it back up better than when you started.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Thankfully, yd100 crank cases are fairly cheap. I woul just get a new crankcase, 2 nest 7mm worth seals, and good quality bearings for the crank and clutch. Build it back up better than when you started.

Is that a direct, bolt on replacement for the bottom half of a Phantom???...The ad says, "For YD100 motor only"

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Is that a direct, bolt on replacement for the bottom half of a Phantom???...The ad says, "For YD100 motor only"
The only unique piece of the Phantom is the top end and the rod with the 12mm small end bearing. Base gaskets, double wide seals, and pretty much all the rest of the bottom end is YD100

Hello my phantom 85 won’t start, was starting just fine then suddenly it started messing up, I literally have to pedal for 2 blocks till it turns on and even then won’t stay running for long, it works better with choke on please help

Hello my phantom 85 won’t start, was starting just fine then suddenly it started messing up, I literally have to pedal for 2 blocks till it turns on and even then won’t stay running for long, it works better with choke on please help
Did you make sure to retorque the four nuts on the top of the cylinder after each and every heat cycle???...If not your going to find that they are loose...Only retorque when motor is totally cold and do so in an X pattern...This needs to be repeatedly done for at least the first 200 mile, If it is not done you will get air leakage into the cylinder from the bottom gaskets and may also be showing some fuel seepage from those bottom gaskets...This will cause the motor to run too lean and will cause damage if not attended to.

Also be sure to tighten the exhaust bolts and the intake bolts while your at it...Things can and will loosen up on you due to motor and road vibration.

Back