Reliability of the stock chain tensioner

• Thread starter Deleted member 27734
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27734

So before I purchased and installed my motorized bike, I Heard lots of people talking and saw lots of posts about the stock chain tensioner being crap and the clamp being useless. however, I haven't had any problems personally with the stock chain tensioner. it holds well and seems very solid. I've gone a lot of miles so far and had no problems with it, should I still be wary, or do they sometimes hold well?

it works good on some frames, less so on others. I'm not a fan of them anyway, since the only way to adjust the yaw on them is a pipe wrench and a 10 foot snipe. I like mounting my tensioners to the engine, where the yaw is correct by nature.

If it works for you, then use it. Just check that chain slack periodically. By periodically i mean before every ride.

I like the look of the spring tensioners that mount to the engine.. clean and neat. I like the look of NO tensioner even better..!!

Other thing is that any kind of chain tensioner should really be placed as close to the driven sprocket as possible, not the driver.

Back