Removing rusted seat post 1958 Schwinn Hollywood

Degoragon

Local time
7:31 AM
So, I stripped down the old Schwinn. Practically everything has been a bit stubborn , and I have snapped many bolts. Most of it I have been able to remove with a little heat, as well as a vinegar/Baking Soda solution. However, the seat post still will not budge, and the pipe wrench will either slip, or else it will pinch and twist it. It will probably break off in there before it moves! It is the original seat, but the seat was in bad shape, and so was the post. I will replace them, so I am not concerned if I destroy the seat or post, as long as it is out of the frame.

I have tried heat, pipe wrench, PB Blaster, and vinegar/Baking soda to no avail. Any ideas?

On an unrelated note, I looked into the numbers, and found that it is actually a 1958 Schwinn, not a 1962 like I previously thought.

What If you cut that post flush with the tube and use a smaller post inside of that post? A last resort anyway if you totally destroy the original and still can't get it out.

Can ya pound the seatpost in another inch that will break the rust loose. Then use the pipe wrench to twist it out.
I have had to use large Vice Grips before clamping the vice grips onto the seatpost and using a 2 lb sledge hammer hitting the vice grips to pound and twist the seatpost up and out. Or attach a Slide Hammer to the seatpost while heating up the seatpost frame tube
Ya might have to soak everything in oil for 24 hrs

What If you cut that post flush with the tube and use a smaller post inside of that post? A last resort anyway if you totally destroy the original and still can't get it out.

Well, i'm already past the point of destroying the seat and post anyways, so that doesn't matter. As it turns out, it's not the original seat anyways, as it was a monogram "S" seat, which I found out were first installed on the 1959 models. I wasn't really concerned about the seat anyways, it was in rough shape. The seat pan was crumbling under the cracked and faded leather. I had already written off the seat, and I have been looking for a replacement.

Can ya pound the seatpost in another inch that will break the rust loose. Then use the pipe wrench to twist it out.
I have had to use large Vice Grips before clamping the vice grips onto the seatpost and using a 2 lb sledge hammer hitting the vice grips to pound and twist the seatpost up and out. Or attach a Slide Hammer to the seatpost while heating up the seatpost frame tube
Ya might have to soak everything in oil for 24 hrs

I'll try a sledge hammer. As for the soaking in oil, I have been spraying it down with P B'Laster everyday for the last couple weeks. I was doing the same with the other bolts. The seat post and the pedal Crank are the last 2 things I need to remove to strip down the frame.
The Vinegar/Baking Soda trick worked on my fender bolts.
I wonder If I should get Sea Foam Deep creep instead.

You know baking soda neutralizes the acid in the vinegar, right? If somehow you could stand it upside down in some pure vinegar for a day it would probably come apart.

The best thing I've ever used for rust is a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Acetone penetrates, ATF lubricates. Like magic, it woiks! It's a lot better than PB Blaster, and Blaster is pretty damn good.

So, I stripped down the old Schwinn. Practically everything has been a bit stubborn , and I have snapped many bolts. Most of it I have been able to remove with a little heat, as well as a vinegar/Baking Soda solution. However, the seat post still will not budge, and the pipe wrench will either slip, or else it will pinch and twist it. It will probably break off in there before it moves! It is the original seat, but the seat was in bad shape, and so was the post. I will replace them, so I am not concerned if I destroy the seat or post, as long as it is out of the frame. I have tried heat, pipe wrench, PB Blaster, and vinegar/Baking soda to no avail. Any ideas? On an unrelated note, I looked into the numbers, and found that it is actually a 1958 Schwinn, not a 1962 like I previously thought.
So, I stripped down the old Schwinn. Practically everything has been a bit stubborn , and I have snapped many bolts. Most of it I have been able to remove with a little heat, as well as a vinegar/Baking Soda solution. However, the seat post still will not budge, and the pipe wrench will either slip, or else it will pinch and twist it. It will probably break off in there before it moves! It is the original seat, but the seat was in bad shape, and so was the post. I will replace them, so I am not concerned if I destroy the seat or post, as long as it is out of the frame. I have tried heat, pipe wrench, PB Blaster, and vinegar/Baking soda to no avail. Any ideas? On an unrelated note, I looked into the numbers, and found that it is actually a 1958 Schwinn, not a 1962 like I previously thought.

The best thing I've ever used for rust is a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Acetone penetrates, ATF lubricates. Like magic, it woiks! It's a lot better than PB Blaster, and Blaster is pretty damn good.
Yep. Acetone and trans fluid. I've used it many times restoring vintage machinery for my shop.

Back