Replacing Axle

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
3:05 AM
So I was working on some stuff and I noticed my axle has a wobble... IT IS BENT!!!

These are sealed bearings, not like regular bicycle bearings. How do I change this out?

thisisarandomnamegeneratedbystolengouldtechnology.jpg

Most sealed bearing axles are held in with either retraining clips or with spacing sleeves. The axle may also have a larger diameter inside of the hub. To remove the bearings put the axle nut flange side out at the end of the straight axle; this'll give you a larger striking surface. Place a block of wood on the axle nut then tap out the bearing(s) on the opposite side.

Once you put the new axle in use a deep well socket to tap the tap the bearing(s) back in.

Here's a thread I did a while back

I can't get the axle out. I am gonna end up dropping it off at a bike shop and have them do it... They are probably gonna charge more than a new wheel would cost.

Mainly cus I don't know what I'm doing... I don't have the expertise or tools to get the freewheel off. And the other side is bent so I think I can only move the axle through from the freewheel side to the sprocket rotor side.
IMG_20220107_130833242_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220107_130908226_HDR.jpg

I ended up ruining prolly my bearings since I tore the "seal" off trying to get it out.

yeah I just called the bike shop... going to buy a tool. From now on I will make sure that I only get freewheels compatible with this tool, ha!

yeah I just called the bike shop... going to buy a tool. From now on I will make sure that I only get freewheels compatible with this tool, ha!
Grease the hub threads it'll make the freewheel much easier to remove in the future. Staton Inc makes a really strong axle. Though I'd ask David to leave the retainer groves out and send you sleeves instead.

I got that tool. Weekend with the family so no work done. I did try to do a quick, "let's see if this comes off" and nope. When I bought it the guy at the bike shop gave me a tip to put the tool in a vise and use the wheel for torquing. Now I have to buy a vise and workbench... nah just kidding. I know tricks. I will get it off tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

I hope the bike shop has a replacement handy. Are sealed bearing axles different than regular bearing axles? Are sealed bearings for the MB mags something that bike shops would carry? I am going to go ahead and replace the bearings while I have it all apart.

Back