Rotary Pics

Sachs Spartamet....

That looks like a licence build of the Sachs Spartamet engine kit from Germany - there are detail differences but the build and setup are identical.

I dont know if they are still available from a supplier but I do know they are available on the german ebay site (ebay.de) for a reasonable price along with such wonders as the hot-bulb/semi diesel Lohmanns.. all 18ccs of it...

If you go on the German site do a search on 'hilfsmotor' - there are sometimes cheap bike/engine combos on there too as well as ebay generally. Be aware that you should check for completeness as some of the older rigs dont do well on the spares dept...

hope that helped

Jemma xx

such wonders as the hot-bulb/semi diesel Lohmanns.. all 18ccs of it...

Jemma, thanks for mentioning the Lohmann diesel! A little Googling turned up quite a lot of interesting detail about these orphans. No ignition system, no fuel injection and will run on soybean oil or other ultra cheap (if not free) fuels with a quick adjustment of the compression ratio. From what I've read, they are a bit finicky to run and work best on a mix of kero, petrol and diesel or veg oil, but **** would it be good to have one of these things when the Saudi oil wells finally run dry.

With a little technological updating, the Lohmann concept could be the basis for a very user-friendly biodiesel engine. Ride it out to the chip shop for some lunch tucker and ride back on the chip shop's waste veg oil. :)

Its kinda neat looking, but so far an unknown quantity.
That is whizzer price range. (known quantity)
It is rated at 197 watts...
746 is 1 HP if I remember correctly.
How does it ride? What kind of power does she have?
Are the listed speeds accurate, or understated?
For those of us still puzzling over the conversion, I figured out that the listed power for that engine (197 watts @ 135 RPM/wheel) works out to .264+ HP @ 3645 RPM (flywheel).
Total unit weighs 18.04 lbs.

I like this unit. It's a very clean and compact design and appears to be well thought out.

Motor seems a little down on power. Most of the 25cc-35cc power heads I've researched seem closer to 1.2HP or 895.2 watts. Of course that's measured at twice the speed that the "Rotary" was, so maybe if it ran the same speed...

Yes, pricey, but basically you get everything. A complete "drivetrain", not just a motor and you figure out the rest.

I wouldn't be surprised if some wiley enterprising fella doesn't get with a couple of distributors; one for the motor and one for some generic bikes, and make himself a little killing.
:devilish:

Dean

Well, I got one very cheap cos it was broken down, but fixable, ( electrics, I think it's a switch/wiring shorting out), everything else checks out OK.

The bike is extremely solid build and crafted Beach Cruiser.
Zip Start.
Has problem with bulging rear tyre so I have to remove the entire works to replace tyre and fix a punctre in front wheel as well.
Has dynamno lights, but came with after market battery lights fitted also.
3 Litre black fuel tank with minor dent.
Has 2 mirrors.

What I did check out, IF the engine cannot run due to internals, then all I do is swap rear wheel to spoke wheel and add HT engine. Other than that it's an ordinary "heavier" bike.
It will depend on overall cost and what damage there is after I get it running.
I really want this thing to go, curious to.

Cost of bike ?
Well, they now retail at around $2500 and possibly rising.
It's a 30cc and having ridden both 50 and 70 cc HT's, I'm not sure how this thing will go in comparison.
The previous owner said it flies and does ok around the suburbs where it's hill climbing back streets.
Hope to get this bike ready for a ride with us locals and compare apples with apples.

How did I score this bike ?

Well, to cut a long story short, the previous owner was walking past my place as I was locking the door to go out. Noticed my motortedbike and asked if I owned it.
Said their bike was motorized, but won't go. So the next day I checked it out, and ended up buying it.
Had I been a minute late, OR a minute early locking front door, may have missed this opportunity.

Thank you guardian angels !!

yeah, but I did not pay 2 grand for it, nor would I pay that much for anything I have to use pedals for that matter, may as well get a proper 250cc bike and go full book at that level.

I paid,
Less than and much less than what it's actually worth.
less than 1/3 of the cost of a new one !

These engines are well crafted so you got a good buy. That is why they are so expensive. The older engines from Germany are really well maded. Not much to go wrong, there is a fellow Ozzie that must have at least 50,000 miles on one of his by now.

If you aren't getting spark, then it is the ignition box, they are really sensitive to a non resistor spark plug and burn out like a light bulb. They are easy to replace, expensive, but easy.

Jemma, thanks for mentioning the Lohmann diesel! A little Googling turned up quite a lot of interesting detail about these orphans. No ignition system, no fuel injection and will run on soybean oil or other ultra cheap (if not free) fuels with a quick adjustment of the compression ratio. From what I've read, they are a bit finicky to run and work best on a mix of kero, petrol and diesel or veg oil, but **** would it be good to have one of these things when the Saudi oil wells finally run dry.

With a little technological updating, the Lohmann concept could be the basis for a very user-friendly biodiesel engine. Ride it out to the chip shop for some lunch tucker and ride back on the chip shop's waste veg oil. :)
Interesting factoid not too many people are aware of...The Diesel engine was originally designed to run on...Peanut Oil.
The design was slightly altered shortly thereafter, so it would run more efficiently on (the then, fairly new power source) Petroleum based fuels.
With no mechainical fuel injection system to feed the fuel through, Weez may have a good point. You wouldn't need to separate the sugars from the waste oil, because there'd be nothing in the fuel delivery system to "gum up". Just take a coffee filter or a fine mesh screen to filter the food chunks out and you probably could drive it home on raw waste oil alone!
(personally, I'd keep a cup of real diesel fuel on hand, though. Engine might run a little better with a slight blend)

Also, speaking of small diesel powerplants, check out what dutch firm Patricia Foundation is doing.

...maybe if you could separate the gearbox from the motor, it'd be more practical.

Dean

Last edited:
My local Thai takeaway uses one of those for their deliveries. I was trying to figure out what kind of kit it was, now I know! :)

Back