running hot... overheating 2 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.6 ozs per gallon

Attachments

• 20181006_173321_HDR.jpg
    20181006_173321_HDR.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 142
I still run mine rich on oil, as I'm only about 130 miles total since I started riding mine, so it gets 4.5 oz. of oil to gallon. roughly 28:1. My bike smokes but not excessively.

I still run mine rich on oil, as I'm only about 130 miles total since I started riding mine, so it gets 4.5 oz. of oil to gallon. roughly 28:1. My bike smokes but not excessively.
Lean or rich? Are y'all referring to the metering pin on the throttle cable? I have 5 settings. Its on the 3rd.
I dont wanna smoke... Draws attention... Lol bad enuff I'm puffing my nicotine vape .....ha ha

I have a 2019 yz250 adjusted idle and air screws in winter when I bought it now the weather went from 20 degrees Fahrenheit to 60 so after about 10 mins of nothing but wheelies lol I stopped and the bike smelled like it was really hot also my fmf natural fatty header is starting to turn purple. Is this just a matter of adjusting idle and air screws?

I have a 2019 yz250 adjusted idle and air screws in winter when I bought it now the weather went from 20 degrees Fahrenheit to 60 so after about 10 mins of nothing but wheelies lol I stopped and the bike smelled like it was really hot also my fmf natural fatty header is starting to turn purple. Is this just a matter of adjusting idle and air screws?
This probably isn't the forum to be asking about regular dirt bikes.
Anyway, if the bike is carbed you need to upjet in the winter and downjet in the summer. Are you 4 stroking alot? It sounds like you're running extremely rich to where it burns in the pipe or extremely lean.
If you are 4 stroking in high rpm, you need to downjet. If you're having trouble idling, you need to downjet the idle or change the air screw so it runs leaner. If the engine revs uncontrollably, upjet. If you're having issues at half throttle, change needle position.

has a $6k db with a pipe,, guest acct,, hmm.
see your Yam dealer and get a selection of main jets bcs with that pipe, you leaned out the fuel flow with more air moving thru the engine now.
many factors can blue a pipe. too advanced a topic for this forum lol

I have a question about fuel oil content or "richness" in the tank. if my motor is currently running at the perfect balance of rich/lean,...and my fuel mix is 40:1,....if I just up my oil content to 32:1 tomorrow,...with NO OTHER CHANGES,...will THAT affect engine heat levels?? in my mind,... im still seeing the same amount of fuel mix getting past the meter needle,...into the combustion chamber,.. it just contains a fraction more oil. will the replacement/substitution of that fraction of gasoline with oil provide cooling? or would it just make a hot running motor more lube-ey-lubricated? --because frankly,.. im happy with my temp,.. and im happy with my plug chops RIGHT NOW. (40:1)---will going to 32:1 tomorrow make me have to run a hotter plug? my carb needle is at max lean already,.. (remember--I currently have PERFECT plug color) so leaning it further isn't an option. I DONT want to muck around with carburetor jets.

additional factors: im about to go from cold NY state,.to HOT Arizona,...and its gonna be a long, long trip,..and i WANT to run 32:1 for the trip. -and for the hot AZ environment from then on. I would assume that entering into a hotter overall environment would offset any gunk on my plug,..because the engine is running slightly hotter due to the hotter environment. ---------ok,....lets hear it.

Last edited:
basically, the less oil in the mix results in a higher energy in combustion and higher temps. so more oil would run cooler in the combustion plus more lube is less friction = less heat to the lower end.
somewhere there are graphs on oil ratios for power and temps, I'm sure but I'm thinking fuzzy now bcs I work nights and it's bedtime lol
I know it's not a straight line graph. someone mentioned diminishing returns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back