SAFE TOP SPEED FOR MB -- is ???

What do you feel is the maximum SAFE speed for a motorized bicycle?

• 20 or less

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • 25 or less

Votes: 39 12.9%
  • 30 or less

Votes: 74 24.5%
  • 35 or less

Votes: 62 20.5%
  • 40 or less

Votes: 37 12.3%
  • Any speed you can reach...

Votes: 74 24.5%

• Total voters
hey kawa999
good to hear from you so soon after your accident
well it seems so soon for us -- probably seemed like a long time for you
we are very happy to know -- that you are in the full recovery process

won't be long and you will be riding that motor bike THING again

So glad you survived K999. I hope you get over it quickly without pain. Good news about the helmet as well.

Hey everybody! I am back home from my 25mph crash, after 5 days in the hospital, 5 broken ribs, shattered sholder blade, broken sholder and broken upper arm. Cause of wreck, flat tire on front,tire came off the rim the tire was way too big around for the rim, I had a hard time to get the tire to seat when I put air in it the tube would blow out between the tire and rim. I put over a 1000 miles on these tires , I never thought obout what would happen when it went flat. so I blame the wreck on my own stupidity. A tire should fit tight on a rim with no air, mine did not and I paid the price! ps my helmet saved my life! thank you to all the guys out there that called me while I was in the hospital!! Yes I will ride again, with the proper fitting tire! craig...

Glad you are OK, hope you will be riding soon again!

Thanks for sharing why you crashed, as it is good for all of us to learn from past mistakes. For example, I do not install the fenders on Cruisers that I motorize because of the stories of them falling off and getting tangled in the tire and frame. I also install "puncture proof" tubes on all of my builds per advice from this forum. Might not prevent a flat, but may prevent a blow out and crash? Thanks for telling your story!

(I'm one of the wimps who voted 25 or less...)

Welcome back kawa999! Thanks from me too for the crash details, and way to man up on the responsibility! Your always evolving if you can admit your mistakes and you bring others up w/ you!

Thanks to those who responded to my post w/ very valid points; I ranted a bit but the idea was to get folks thinking about the many facets of the question posed. I agree that there were unfair and incomplete comparisons and was counting on others to give more insight; some that I had thought of, but more importantly, some that I had not. That's what I love about open forums!

Too fast?

This is what can happen when you go too fast (see attached photo).

Attachments

• TooFast.jpg
    TooFast.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 133
I agree with many of the posters above--30 or below seems to be the best, IMO.

BUT, of course, it's always going to depend on the quality of the bike you're motorizing. I have a cheapie Target Schwinn Jaguar, so I feel that I'm already testing the limits at 25-30; however, if I had a nice solid bike with excellent shocks and beefed-up wheels and spokes and brakes, I might feel a little better about going near 40.

But, for me it's just about pleasure cruisin'. Even the thought of dumping my MB at 15 mph scares the heck outta me!

that guy was going well over 40 mph

see that's what we are talking about here -- Safe Top Speed

hope that he was wearing his cup that day

as he rode that motor bike thing -- right into the large tree !!!

That's a crazy picture :eek: , but I'm not convinced that the guy had enough mass AND velocity to knock down a tree with about 2 or more feet of diameter! :rolleyes: Also, I think his cup would be shattered after this, not to mention his body'd be nearly obliterated and in pieces from hitting a tree of that size... :cry:

This is what can happen when you go too fast (see attached photo).
That's you when you were a little younger (& trimmer), right?
Come on, be a man and fess up! :giggle:

PS: Don't worry, we won't snitch on you to the Greenies for murdering that tree

PPS: I just got of the phone with a mate who is busy putting a 11 HP water cooled Morini
into heavy duty downhill bike. Even with a 24" back wheel and a 44 tooth sprocket it should
be good for 59 MPH at 15,000 RPM
Of course it will only be ridden on closed courses.........

Last edited:
Back