Shifter problems.

Shifter problems

Have you considered an internal hub? Shimano makes a nexus five speed and Stermy Archer makes a seven that I think might hold up to a MB.

Mike the bike guy

Actually, I did consider that at first, but decided I didn't really want to invest that much in this bike and I really didn't care to relace the wheel. I may yet decide to do that depending on how this works out as I have it now. If so I will likely try to get a better brake system as well. I was able to add front caliper brakes and had rim brakes on the back already. I'd prefer disc. The triple tree front end makes disc brakes very difficult.
Woody

If you use a teflon lined cable housing with grease it will cause the problem you complain of. Also try using shimano sis inner and outer cables. If you use coil wound wound outer cables on anything more than a 5 speed index shift system. you will have this problem. Coil wound outer cables compress when the cable is tensioned,therefor the degree of accuracy needed to maintain for 6 speed and higher drive rains is compromised. in other words coil wound cables act like a spring under tension. Using shimano sis linear cables will rid your problem! Make them as short as possible and make sure the radius's arent too tight. Do not kink them or they are ruined forever!!

Shifter problems

Thanks Breuklen ....I did solve that problem with an old positron shifter and a little skid plate on the bottom of the derailleur. Because of the way the frame is made the derailleur was dragging and hanging up on the frame causing the problem. After that modification it worked very well and still shifts nicely.
Woody

Back