• Register now! It's free and easy.
  • Show your bike to the world, upload a photo today!
  • Hi Guest, did you know we have a dark style? It might be easier on the eyes at night time! Try it out here: Style Chooser

Some help needed.

32motleycrue

I picked up a 4hp Robin 2 Stroke Engine. Its made for a cement mixer so its got the 6:1 Gear box on it.

How would I go about running it since now the axle spins 6 times slower than before?

This is what I thought and I want to know if it works.

Putting a 40t sprocket on the axle, running it to a 10t jackshaft, then back to a 40t rear wheel.
In my head this works, but i'm a better frame builder than engine guy.

Also, I would have to post a picture for this, but when I took the engine apart to clean it up I took off the throttle bit w/ governor and now im not that sure how it goes back on. If there are any diagrams out there, that would be sweet.

Attachments

G

gone_fishin

that's a pretty neat double-tensioner idea...i moved this into "wild in the streets" because, well, it's wild :eek:

i'm not much help with gearing, but you may count on a crazy or two coming along and helping out :)

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mickey

If you're going from 40 x 10 x 40, isn't that the same as 40 x 40? or 10 x 10? You'll just end up with 6:1 reduction. Is the jackstaff just to move power to the other side?

G

gone_fishin

we need pics (or links) of the engine, too, before we can get to work :)

i believe the jackshaft also serves to offset the power around the engine and back into center for transfer to the rear wheel.

32motleycrue

I'll put up pictures later tonight of the engine. Im at work all day so i'll just surf this site and look at cool bikes for now.

G

Ghost0

The way your picture shows it would be 1:1. You are going 1:4 then back to 4:1 making it 1:1, effectively no change in ratio.

If your engine has a clutch on it already you shouldn't have a problem with it sitting and idling after start up.

32motleycrue

Well currently its 6:1, how would I go about adjusting it so I can power the rear wheel and go about 40mph max? (20" rear)

5-7HEAVEN

:cool:I'm a "crazy", and proud OF it.

Tell me at what rpm your maximum hp and torque is realized. Then I can predict which gears you need to reach 40mph.

Myron

B

Bean Oil

Tell me at what rpm your maximum hp and torque is realized.
^ MyRHONE (Myron) is the man... LOL... although if the op may not have those torque/rpm specs they might be published somewhere.

I used to do gear-inch charts for friends when I rode mountain bikes, but I've forgotten all that stuff now. *sigh* With 7-speed clusters and three chainwheels there was a lot of cross-shifting involved if one wanted the very next possible ratio up or down... but I digress.

Carry on. :)~

Last edited by a moderator: