Sources for ROBIN-SUBARU EHO35

Thanks, Whizzerd. Actually, the link I was refering to is for the 35cc, but I didn`t understand the listing for the 50 either. As far as the 50 goes, the "clutch pack" is both "rotor" and "drum"? What you`re calling "clutch bell" that comes with the Stanton kit is the same as what he calls the housing? And I take it the dimentions shown on the SEW listing for the Honda 50 are standard for 76mm clutches?

Back to the 35, since it says engine only, it wouldn`t include any clutch components and the "clutch" listed below should be all of them even though some specialty vendors sell the individual parts separately? Lots of questions, I know. Thanks for your patience.

No worries, the GX35 from Small Engine Warehouse comes complete with clutch shoes and spring. You don't need the additional $74 assembly as the drum or bell is included in just about every drive kit I know of.

HTH

Please forgive me for my mistaken nomenclature. I just purchased a Honda GXH 35 from SEW a few weeks ago. It comes w/ tank, clutch and is ready to go save for a $4.00 throttle cable adaptor available from BMP. The Honda 50 from SEW doesn't include any clutch parts and SEW doesn't have any either. Not sure here but I think, even with the proper clutch parts, the crank shaft needs to be cut off. Others have said the internal threads extend far enough. I'd love to try the GXH 50 but it's very expensive compared to it's clone, the Titan 50 (HuaSheng). I have a Titan 50 on my Worksman/BMP ride w/ around 800 miles so far. I've had a few issues with it but it runs very good. I won't buy another Titan 35. I'm testing the Titan 50 for longevity. Titan engines are available from www.thatsdax.com although he's been OOS for a few months now.

Muchos thankyous, RH and Whizzerd.
Whizzerd, did you have problems with the HS35 that you don`t expect with the 50? My state caps HP at 2.0, so I think 50s are out for me. On the bright side, they allow for up to 30MPH and have no automatic transmision clause that I can see, so I should be hunky dory with a "horse-and-a-half" anyway.

An automatic transmission clause has no bearing on the equipment that is being discussed. There are very few motors that are below the 2brake hp. Brake hp is considered the max hp. Most engines run at 80% of there max. You need to remember that the people who write these laws have very little knowledge of what they propose. I have a tandem and the law where I live says 2 brake hp. I am going to put the GXH 50 on it. If somebody makes an issue of it, I will take it up in court. The actual output of the Honda GXH 50 is 2.1hp. I have allot of very steep hills where I live and me and the wife plus tandem and load weigh around 550lbs. I believe 30mph is reasonable for a single bicycle. I don't allow our tandem to roll down hills any faster than 35mph. If the road is crappy or weather is bad I slow down even more. In other words the basic speed law is what determines what I do. To avoid being a police magnet obey the traffic laws. Remember as your speed goes up you need more room to maneuver. Don't hug the curb at 30mph unless you own stock in the ER.

You could also argue that when the honda output is rounded to the nearest whole number, it IS 2 HP... And, since the law states 2 hp, and not 2.0 hp, it implies rounding.

Hi Rodar, the HS/Titan 35 must be run perfectly level or you can experience oil related issues. I've spoke w/ Duane at thatsdax and he says the smoking and missing is a common problem. In my case the HS 35 doesn't have the power of the R/S or Honda either. The price is close enough IMO to go w/ the better quality Japanese brand 35cc engines. When a person decides to stay w/ the mb activity and spend more for dependability an extra $50 bucks shouldn't matter. I've run the GXH 35 about 60 miles now and while I haven't run wide open because still breaking in, it seems to have a little more power than the R/S. The R/S is smooth and the clutch is more quiet. The Honda uses a belt driven OHC and seems to "want" to rev a little more. The Honda 50 set up and ready to go for our use is twice the cost of the Titan 50. The HS 50 does run very well. Reb 1, I think you would be more satisfied with it or a good 50 cc 2-stroke for your tandem project. I'm around 205 lbs. and the 35's are marginal.

I emailed Staton and he emailed me back saying he will have a two speed gearbox ready next week that he will be testing on a tandem. I hear the honda 50 is a lot quieter than the weed eater motors. I still intend to set it up with ratios for a max speed around 25mph. We need the slow speed help up hills and 4strokes seem to due better on torque and mpg. We intend to continue pedaling also. I am also tempted to use the dual motor gear box and claim one for each rider.

Two speed Stanton box? Sounds interresting. Reb, my expectations are pretty similar to yours. Except that instead of a tandem I`m hoping to be able to haul a load of groceries about 14 miles up a considerable grade at better speed than I can currently pedal up unloaded, so 25MPH on the flat ought to achieve that. What kind of drive system are you thinking about?

Whizzerd, you`ve got a good point about the relatively small price differences. I was really hoping to build this winter, but medical expenses ate up most of the money I had earmarked for my project, so I might not get started until next winter (summer is for playing). By then, the engine I end up buying may well be just whatever happens to be available at the time.

I need the 48 spoked wheel so I will go with a chain drive. If you are going to pedal with at least half of your usual effort than you may only need a 35cc motor. The golden eagle setup is advertised as being able to bring someone a little over 200 lbs up to about 30mph on the flat. I believe about the same with a chain drive Staton. This is with start up pedaling so you give the clutch a break. I am hauling the wife and sometimes pulling a cart with 80 to 100 lbs of groceries so I think I would be pushing the upper limit of the 35cc motor to much. With the two speed it might be alright with the 35cc. I am waiting for more info. Obviously with a two speed 8-10mph would work for low up a steep hill.

Back