Sparks Jumping Around Electrode

I don't know if the micro grooves need to be exact and if there's a chance I would cause it to be an uneven surface somehow idk, because the fred head's grooves are obviously made perfectly by a machine and I would be doing this by hand.

Would it be a good idea for me to put microgrooves on the top of the cylinder body too instead of it being flat? The head and cylinder has only a 4mm wide ring that's making contact with the gasket
View attachment 98245
Or is leaving it flat fine?
View attachment 98250
Not really the head surface is plenty and that will carry those pressure points through to the flat mating surface.( when torqued properly)

I checked all surfaces, they are flat. I replaced the gaskets. I made sure all surfaces and gaskets are clean. I put it together carefully, torqued each bolt a little bit at a time and going diagonally to the opposite one till all of them are torqued to 12 lbs ft. Put in the spark plug. And I'm still getting barely any compression. I think the head is not getting torqued down properly. And I think it has to do with the washers. The washers are the thicker ones, but still they keep bending in a concave shape. Could this be the problem and can I just use the nuts without the washers to bypass this issue? Double washers?

Last edited:
Just go get some new ones when your out in about new flat washer and lock washers. There 8mm you should find them pretty easy. You should buy a hand full bulk cheap couple bucks . That way you have extra’s. I personally get rid of the stock acorn nuts but I don’t like them. My opinion on nuts

Ok, I used thicker washers and I doubled it up and put lock washers on. Now I got a lot more compression. Not sure if its perfect though. I still couldn't get it started. I pedaled as fast as I could and for as long as I could varying the throttle. I got it to sputter for just a second. At least I'm making progress.

My drive chain has a lot of slack, I can touch the bottom to the top. Will that affect starting it up at all?
How about my carb not being level?

Last edited:
Magneto wires look like they are split. I’m sure you know plug wire is off . Trying to help. Be safe

I checked for spark, I'm getting good spark

I adjusted the engine mounting a little, the carbs a little more level, is this enough?

Back