Strong Rear Wheel?

ive converted my 700c to single speed with 18 tooth sturmey archer freewheel since the wheel set that came with it ended up breaking 7 spokes one night so ive been using an old steel weinmann i had off and old mountain bike on it not to mention i blew out the bearings on my zeda rollers rear mag so im having some wheel issues and am curious what are the best wheels out there even if its gonna cost me lol

Here’s my non-mainstream ideas:

When possible, keep the wheel as small as possible for your build. I suggest 24”, Maybe even 20”.

Get a rim designed for downhill racing! I have great success with Halo SAS downhill rims, both 24” and 20”.

All the bicycle hubs I’ve experimented with are fine. But not all bearings and not all axles. If possible use sealed bearings on as thick a stainless steel shaft as possible. 3/8” is absolute minimum - 1/2” is suggested.

Unlike a real bicycle wheel, don’t lace up looking for perfect true and round. Use blue lock tire on the nipples then lace 3x, getting it close to true and round, but the important thing is good spoke tension in the wheel. After a good bit of stress relief - squeezing all the spokes hard by hand for several rounds - wrap the spoke intersections with thin copper wire then solder the joint.

This will essentially widen the hub and minimize spoke movement at the flange. That means fewer broken spokes.

im having some wheel issues and am curious what are the best wheels out there even if its gonna cost me lol
I'm curious about that too, but I'm sure the answer is different for everyone and their particular needs. I certainly couldn't settle on a single wheelset, so I need to motorise more bikes! Whatever it is it will have sealed cartridge bearings and a double wall rim along with stainless steel spokes like you have there. Probably stainless eyelets too, possibly double eyelets. :)

With 27.5" and 29er being fashionable these days, and with the new "boost" O.L.D.s you can find a lot of decent used mountain bike (26" x 135mm O.L.D.) wheels on eBay or wherever.

well the wheel arrived on time and for the price it pretty dang nice and it looks to be perfectly true aswell gonna see putting a ported out aosom 60cc with sha clone on it see how it runs havent used the motor since i pieced it together

ive converted my 700c to single speed with 18 tooth sturmey archer freewheel since the wheel set that came with it ended up breaking 7 spokes one night so ive been using an old steel weinmann i had off and old mountain bike on it not to mention i blew out the bearings on my zeda rollers rear mag so im having some wheel issues and am curious what are the best wheels out there even if its gonna cost me lol
https://shop.umotobikes.com/products. Check this out. Double will rims, 3" drum brake in front, tires, tubes, plus heavy duty front fork set with 1 1/8 heavy duty aluminum brackets. (Fully adj stable). I bought this hoping. Got much better than expected. Been running them for a month now, avg 25 mph up to 45 mph and no worries. Nothing loose, stop on a dime. Only problem...not greased well, so check that. Have a blessed day.

https://shop.umotobikes.com/products. Check this out. Double will rims, 3" drum brake in front, tires, tubes, plus heavy duty front fork set with 1 1/8 heavy duty aluminum brackets. (Fully adj stable). I bought this hoping. Got much better than expected. Been running them for a month now, avg 25 mph up to 45 mph and no worries. Nothing loose, stop on a dime. Only problem...not greased well, so check that. Have a blessed day.

That’s probably a good deal: good wheelset and a good front fork - plug and play. It’s hard to see but is the fork suspension?

well the wheel arrived on time and for the price it pretty dang nice and it looks to be perfectly true aswell gonna see putting a ported out aosom 60cc with sha clone on it see how it runs havent used the motor since i pieced it together

I’ll make a prediction. After about 60 miles that rim is going to be showing significant warpage - to the point where no amount spoke wrenching can mitigate it.

I just bought my new rear wheel here, and the sprocket adapter, too, since my old one broke a few spokes as well.
https://mbrebel.com/heavy-duty-wheels/
My new one is built like a tank, it's very solid, and even with the same Nexus 3 gear hub, was only $20 more than I paid for the first one that I destroyed. I don't really know of any other place that has these.

Back