The Bike Paint Thread!

watch the aircraft stripper, its a nasty, nasty chemical.

a few more tips:

some powdercoating places do shipping and recieving, also media blasting and powdercoating. if you are out of luck where you live, i can send you the name of a place that might take your job on - i saw a full car come out of the shop once, completely coated aparently it makes an awesome high build primer.

do not think you can simply mask the components, the frame needs to be bare. when you get the bike back, you should clean out the headtube, and crank housing because a lot of times there is left over sand from blasting thats just chilling waiting to get in to your bearings. get a wire brush and go to town on it, then blow it out with compressed air (if you have a compressor) then clean it with some metal prep.

if you have time, you could forget the whole sand blasting thing and just whip out the sand paper, or maybe buy a oribtal sander and go to town.

if you insist on using aircraft stripper - get some good thick rubber gloves, laytex gloves will melt in a matter of minutes, also use a resparator. use a paintbrush to apply wait about 5 minutes (i usualy have a smoke) then get to scraping. people dont get it that it takes a lot of applications to get to bare metal. the method i use for stripping cars is get as far as you can, then use the orbital for the rest.

a good rattle can job will be just as good - if done right - than powder. personally i think spraying things is much more rewarding. once you spray it, you can even lay down some clear coat - make that thing shine! - if you want to get a little crazy, kragen auto parts stores sell some awesome colors with HEAVY metal flake in them they look really cool with a nice clear over them.

just some ideas...

does anyone know what effects sand blasting has on brazed joints?

Glad to hear that you had some luck. To "sand" or "scuff"? ,same thing really but yes you should,with a grit of around 220 or finer. Even a wire wheel on a drill would be good. You just want to get all that dried up paint remover out of all the corners and edges as it turns rock hard when dry.Make sure that you or the painter masks of the parts that should have no paint on them as the powder will not come off.
You will be able to hit that new paint job with a hammer, powder coat will not come off and you will be so happy.

I figured I'm going to bite the sandblasting bullet and return the aircraft stripper. By the time I buy the gloves, the respirator, and all that I'm already halfway to a sandblast job. Might as well do it right.

Yea, I figured you already had the stripper so I left it at that. Try to find a small body shop, they all have blasters or you could buy one if you have an air comp. I'd bet you could find one "spot blaster" for 40 bucks or so.

Back