Travel Tools and Supply/Repairs- Show us your Road Kit

WHat tools do you carry on your everyday rides?

• Tools! I don't need no stinkin TOOLS!

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • A Pocket knife and Duct Tape, Baby...

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Universal Bike Tool

Votes: 32 20.6%
  • Flat Repair Kit

Votes: 32 20.6%
  • Pump or Tire inflator

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Full Bicycle repair kit.

Votes: 86 55.5%

• Total voters
In my backpack I carry replacement nuts and bolts for everything, slime inter tube, hand pump, and every tool I own except my torque wrench. I could replace a broken head bolt on the side of the road if I had to, but if I had to replace say two head bolts in one trip I would be out of luck.

Here is my kit in a tool roll from Harbor Freight.

From left to right:

1) 10 feet of rope- got the idea from Large Filipino, you never know when you will have to suspend either end of your bike in the air (great idea Large).

2) Electrical tape- to make it easier to travel, it is wrapped on a 1" wide piece of aluminum- 10 to 12 feet, very compact.

3) Zip ties- long ones, you can make a long one short, doesn't work the other way.

4) Tire gauge, tube patches and valve tool.

5) Tire removal tools.

6) Small slip joint pliers.

7) Small vise grips (any number of uses).

8) Cresent wrench.

9) through 13) Combination wrenches (more sizes, less space), 14-15, 9/16-5/8, 12-13, 10-11, 8-9

Second row- on the belt, not in the roll:

14) Leatherman- don't get a cheap imitation. They are well worth the price and work well. A cheap one will convince you combination tools are worthless. They are not, but the cheap ones are.

15) Cell phone

Then you can see where the roll goes- attached with three mini bungees.

BTW- in the hollow area at the back of the "tank", a spare tube will be concealed in there.

[edit]

I forgot to mention that I have a frame pump mounted to mimic a manual oil pump pic 3

Attachments

• tool kit 013.JPG
    tool kit 013.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 477
  • tool kit 011.JPG
    tool kit 011.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 455
  • JLH pics 066.JPG
    JLH pics 066.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 487
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my tool kit for Cronus.
Here's my tool bag when I'm not carrying any groceries or whatever.Photo0223.jpg and here's my tool bag when I am carrying something.Photo0231.jpg
Here's my canteen I use to hold gas. The plastic is the same stuff used in gas cans you find everywhere and I only payed a buck for it at out local Army/Navy store.Photo0224.jpg It holds 1/4 of a gallon just like my tank on my engine and it takes a dollar. I love the gas stations. I get alot of praise there. I feel like a superhero.
Here's my Craftsman tool bag. A steal at 9 bucks. The top hinges open because it has a metal frame and if anything breaks like the zipper or if it tears a hole it's a Craftsman so lifetime replacement,yo.Photo0225.jpg
See how it stays open? Photo0227.jpg So what do we have here?Photo0228.jpg
Right off the bat I see my son borrowed my 3/8 drive ratchet. And not in the pic is a strand of 415 chain. This is why I check my bag weekly. So we have my spark plug socket and extension,my original spark plug,a spare NGK plug (NGK plug on engine) More stuff here about my plugs:http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10845(the cr5 plug is on the engine)
and then we have oh yes. My fishing rod and trigger pull reel and my tackle box. In an emergency that is probably the most important tool here. Then my foot pump. Yes. I can't deal with those frame pumps. If I have a flat I don't want to be sweating it. Also an entire slime tube. Forget those patches.
That roll of wire could be used for anything. You never know what can happen out there. Basic hand tools. My 1/2 inch for adjusting my chain. A strap off of a clip on pedal one is holding my reserve tank and this one is for when I need a ghetto stand.
So what's that long chain there and two chain breakers? Because I recently switched over to the 415 chain Duane had given me. It seems the wally world chain lasted me a bit over a thousand miles which I think is awesome but I saw signs of separation. Photo0230.jpg Thankfully I ALWAYS check everything before a ride but I had actually caught this while tightening my chain. It seemed for a while there I was adjusting my chain once every day for about a week. We didn't install the 415 initially because of the coaster clearance. But now the coaster is not there no more. So now I have clearance. And just for visuals,I switched over the gearbox side too with the 415. That wally world chain was okay there actually but I did this mostly for visuals. You gotta admit that 415 looks beefy and it have extra links anyway. Yesterday and today no chain adjustments. YAY!!
I like to feel like I can handle ANYTHING when it comes to my bike. I even kept my old chain in my bag just in case I get a 415 chain failure which is why I have my two breakers. That other one I modified to work with the 415. I rule.
When I have money I want to splurge on a heavy duty BMX chain in the 40 dollar variety. But for now the 415 is working great.

Last edited by a moderator:
man i cant aford to break down so get this my back pack weighs in at like 40 ponds of tools that i have in there i carry even spare wheel bearings and the gear pullere to do it on the side of the road if i have to

Yea but should you carry a front wheel or a rear wheel?
Best better have both.

Back