Trek 4500/ GP460/ 8 speed SHIFTER

the cassette cog / chainring is a cool alternative. turning it so that the webs rest against the bolts came out centered enough to satisfy you ? does it oscilate at all, not that it matters the derailure will compensate for it.

how fast , how far did you run it ?

i guess it's clamped on about as well as mine, and the fact that theres is no support on the back side of the bolts shouldn't matter, it's a freewheel, the sprocket is never going to experience reverse torsion.

steve

Last edited:
i changed my cassette agian last night. the smallest 2 cogs are now 18T and 16T.

the 16T will give me 14.55 : 1 and work out to 45mph right at the 8600 rpm torque peak of my engine. which will leave me another 5,000 rpm to play around in. HEHEHE !!

i should be riding it Monday afternoon, unless we're having ANOTHER blizzard !!

steve

Last edited:
I've been watching this thread with much interest. One question: How's the balance on the bike? It looks like the engine is offset quite a bit. How does the balance feel when riding on very rough surfaces (read - off road)?

Van,

i have only pedaled my bike with the engine mounted, not engine driven yet.

i can say that my Staton inside drive felt more odd than this setup. to the same point, i'd think the Staton outside drive or friction drive would be even more dramatic in this regard.

i have my double leg centerstand perfected on this build and can say that the bike has no tendency to try to "go" to the left when on the stand.

Jerry should be able to give some good input on that feature of this configuration.

ping / jerry / come in / over.........................

steve

Last edited:
as for balance .Ive never had a problem with that . the motor is off to the left. but its just not that bad . on my design i use a gas tank on the right side to balance things out astecically. the motor is left of center but the motor mount is mounted from the right of the center tube it all balances out . now with the addition of pedals the motor is mounted further up the down tube it might be more of an issue but i don't think so .for three years ive just been lobbing off the pedals and using foot pegs . in fact ive gotta get used to the pedals it just seems funny riding at 40 with my feet flopping around,

centering the smaller ring was very easy it just fit right over the bolt pattern , it was perfect , im gonna ride it harder today , just have to break that motor in its brand new.

who knows what the common thumb throttle cable length is on the average weed wacker ?

i know there are many brands , but i want to see if i can find one about 30" long before i cut down the long one from my original GEBE kit.

thanks,

steve

i kind of figured that. the one i have is about 70" . i guess i can just put a loop in it and zip tie it in a couple places.

i thought about cutting it down but i really don't want to have to mess around trying to get a new "end" to stay on it.

thanks,

steve

Back