Trek 4500/ GP460 now Staton 18.75 Drive

That U bend needs to go, so the pipe runs under the engine. Has it been tried? These things are designed for GoPeds with no bottom clearance.

my reconfiguration eliminates the "U" segment and replaces it with a 90*, but you have given me another great idea, maybe it will work going down and under the right (recoil) side, instead of up and over the left.

thanks kerf,

steve

Waiting On The Wheel Master. He Says He Will Finish Up On It Monday So Hopefully By Next Weekend I Can Start Bolting Things Together. Traffic Really Sucks On Four Wheels. . .

my reconfiguration eliminates the "U" segment and replaces it with a 90*, but you have given me another great idea, maybe it will work going down and under the right (recoil) side, instead of up and over the left.

thanks kerf,

steve

it would be possible to seperate the Dominator like i have and reroute it down and to the right. i mocked it up tonight, to be done the best you would need to put a slight bend further to the right in the 1st(flange) segment. it would take alittle patience to work out the middle segment so that you will gain the clearance and NOT be longer than the original "U" pipe. but it CAN be done and would end up nicely tucked in along the support arms.

i'm going with the up and to the left route. the right side doesn't work with my fuel tank location on this build and would ONLY work for this one setup configuration.

the up and over the top to the left will work for my build and for all other Staton gear / chain drives w/ the 460.

the pipe will be done by mid week and i hope to have pics, still working on the camera.

steve

Can you tell me the measurements of the engine R/S 35 and the drive mounted ? I want to start looking for some type of enclosure to fit over the whole unit. I'm guessing 12"x 12"x12" . I also will be mounting a inside drive. I think by covering the whole unit I can protect and hide everything but the chain. Good luck with yours, Mike

Hi Kerf, thanks for asking. i was just coming on forum to give a report.

i'm very satisfied with the "up, over and down configuration. the critical dimensions of the ID and length of the segments was preserved, but the "U" was replaced with a 90* so the overall tract is more direct.

this fact has an effect of stronger mid- high range without forcing a lean condition. BELIEVE ME I'M CHECKING REGULARLY !!

i went ahead and added a .005" copper base gasket before the pipe was finished. this move was widely recommended by experienced engine builders and racers from the gopednation and has REALLY brought the 460 to life. lots of extra low-mid range torque and very good throttle response every where.

i was experiencing ongoing lube loss thru the output shaft seal and now that i have no exhaust clearance issues i have reverted to standard horizontal gear box mounting. i'm currntly waiting for delivery of a KMC K710 1/2 x1/8 HD BMX chain.

the down side. yes there is one, and i've never been afraid of admitting them.

with the chain drive being a no slip connection it is VERY tempting to run in the high end. so far i've been doing my commute in the 40 -45mph range and my MPG has dropped from what i was getting running 35mph on the GEBE. when my new chain comes i'm going to be dropping back to 35mph to evaluate the actual comparitive MPG.

i now have sourcing and prices for the parts needed to do my dual belt / jackshaft idea and will persue it this winter.

more later,
steve

well, i got the chain and after installing it and further fine tuning of the horizontal mounting of the gearbox am no more satisfied with the running charateristics of the cahin drive than with the verticle setup.

i have the mounting arranged so the output shaft is pretty much right above the hub sprocket, perfect chain line and slightly loose tension. more tension produces more whawhawhawha surging and wagging in the rear of the bike.

i'm going to sell the staton stuff for funds to proceed with my jackshaft belt drive.

more later,
steve

Back